Sponsored by:

The g50/31 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well done Joe, lovely job.

When we spoke about this ages ago I said that for me the downside of my 'box was the very short first gear in regular traffic - you have to rev the engine quite a bit to keep with with other cars. I see your new 'box does not have that issue having a tall first. Sounds ideal.

Best wishes
Tal
Old 10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axl911
That ltw flywheel is something else huh? Oh yeah the noise, makes you think you engine turned to a clothes dryer filled with rocks.

Ok, so this sound "the rocks in the clothes dryer" is from the lwfw? My car sounds like this in second gear under heavy load (lugging) at low rpms.

And all this time I thought that it was something like the engine tin vibrating.

I have been looking for something loose/vibrating ever since I got the car back together. Ugh!

Good to know that this is normal. I'll stop looking/wondering now...

Bob-
Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Ok, so this sound "the rocks in the clothes dryer" is from the lwfw? My car sounds like this in second gear under heavy load (lugging) at low rpms.

And all this time I thought that it was something like the engine tin vibrating.

I have been looking for something loose/vibrating ever since I got the car back together. Ugh!

Good to know that this is normal. I'll stop looking/wondering now...

Bob-
You ought to hear what the Cups sound like, sneakers in a clothes dryer is more like it you'd swear it was going drop onto the pavement at any second, the little bit of rattle from the lwf is nothing
Old 10-02-2009, 06:24 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
You ought to hear what the Cups sound like, sneakers in a clothes dryer is more like it you'd swear it was going drop onto the pavement at any second, the little bit of rattle from the lwf is nothing
So... what is rattling and why?

Bob-
Old 10-02-2009, 07:10 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jmarch
I think I'll have the same problem when I drive your 2wd Turbo

Thanks to both you and Darrin for helping me source parts. FD Motorsports is a wonderful resource for us on this list. Mark and Darrin are very knowledgable (I didn't have to worry about getting the wrong parts), and went out of their way to remedy a problem (not their fault) that we ran into when I found a little problem with the LTW (see below). Glad I caught this before I installed everything
Joe, I just re-read this thread. I missed the damaged fw the first time thru. Holy crap! What do you figure happened to the fw? I did not even inspect mine closely before I installed it.

Looks like it was dropped?

Did you see it before you installed it or did the fw and ring gear not mate properly?

Man you are lucky. That could have fugly.

Bob-
Old 10-02-2009, 07:17 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe, I just re-read this thread. I missed the damaged fw the first time thru. Holy crap! What do you figure happened to the fw? I did not even inspect mine closely before I installed it.

Looks like it was dropped?

Did you see it before you installed it or did the fw and ring gear not mate properly?

Man you are lucky. That could have fugly.

Bob-
Luckily I was being observant (for a change) and caught it before installing. I'm not even sure the car would have run with that bend.

No idea how it got that way. But my friends at FD Motorsports were quick to get me a new one.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guards red
Well done Joe, lovely job.

When we spoke about this ages ago I said that for me the downside of my 'box was the very short first gear in regular traffic - you have to rev the engine quite a bit to keep with with other cars. I see your new 'box does not have that issue having a tall first. Sounds ideal.

Best wishes
Tal
Thank you my friend. Boy, it sure would have been easier to do the VRAM conversion with the engine out

For those that don't know, Tal has a g50/21 in his car, not a g50/20.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

We are not sure how it happened, but it took a pretty good hit. I assume it was during shipping. Luckily Joe spotted it early. Nice work Joe!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Nice work Joe!
+1, and thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Most tracks around here you use 3, 4, 5 only Montecello has a long enought straight for 6.
I regeared the box in my car recently (3-6). I enter the straight at Monticello in 2nd. The 2/3, 3/4 and 4/5 shifts happen in a series of heartbeats. The 5/6 takes a heartbeat and a half, but I'm in 6th BEFORE the kink. From there to the braking zone is all 6th gear acceleration. It's quite a ride ... and, IMHO, worth the time, effort and $$$.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. I hope these gearboxes will stay available for another couple of years. I'm already putting my pennies away. This is my 'fantasy' upgrade....
chuck
Old 10-03-2009, 02:58 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Thanks Jeff. That's actually Lake Arrowhead. We used to ride there when I lived in SoCal. Now we ride Mendocino National Forest which is awesome.

Seems we have similar tastes in cars and bikes. But, you have a real RS - Wow!

Cheers,
Joe

Yes the RS is something special, even more so mental behind the wheel because you know its really something special. I'll trade it for the new Husaberg 570......or two. That bike is simply the best.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:09 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

So... what is rattling and why?

Bob-
Its the gears on the shaft rattling, the dual mass flywheel dampens the pulses from the engine crank, the single mass does not. The problem is even more pronounced with the proper RS mainshaft with the loose first and second gears rather than machined on the shaft as in the standard road cars. It is most obvious when lugging the car in any gear most in the lower gears.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:18 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

schmidtwerk, agree on the noise, personally I find I adjust my driving to avoid lugging where possible,,although it isn't the case, it sounds like expensive repairs are required and can be alarming to passengers who hear it for the first time..
Dare I say it, but without carpet and sound proofing in a CS it is worse,,,you start off with a labouring coffee grinder noise, that quietens as the revs rise, beyond the point of the varioram coming into play it sounds like a chainsaw cutting open an angry wasp nest..this alone means I can forgive the dreadful noise at lower lugging revs, knowing what is to come.

Joe, just out of interest, why did you choose the 31 over the 30 or 32?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:47 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by schmidtwerk
Its the gears on the shaft rattling, the dual mass flywheel dampens the pulses from the engine crank, the single mass does not. The problem is even more pronounced with the proper RS mainshaft with the loose first and second gears rather than machined on the shaft as in the standard road cars. It is most obvious when lugging the car in any gear most in the lower gears.
Thanks Jeff. So is there any damage being done?

Bob-

Quick Reply: The g50/31 Experience