Sponsored by:

Do you remember this car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:26 AM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you remember this car?

Does anyone here remember this car from a few years ago? It was purchased in 11/06 and is now up for sale again, and I am looking at it very seriously, and would really appreciate any feedback you have. I would want to DE the car (probably disable the 4-wheel drive at some point).

Its in pretty decent shape, now with just over 101K miles, no top-end (or other major work) done yet. It apparently skipped over its 90K service, but has had oil changes. The package offer listed is still identical (including the tires, some of which are now ready for replace) and a $7K asking price reduction for the 3 years and 20K added miles.

The RLer who sold it 3 years ago tracked it a bunch in California. The present owner has used it for a daily drive, probably including some snow...

I love the widebody, 3.8 wing, suspension and performance mods, but am not crazy about the wheels (taste) or the mileage.

I would be pushing my budget on this, and have a PPI scheduled for Thursday...

I have been leaning on you guys a lot for this, and really appreciate the sanity check. I'll be looking for opportunities to tow my end of the line, if they ever crop up...

Thanks!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...assifieds.html

Well Appointed 993 C4S For Sale
Category: 911/993/996 Ad Number: 5482
Price: $37,000 a real value Date Posted: 08/21/2006

Features
Year: 1996 Make: Porsche Model: 993
Miles: Engine: Fuel Inj. Stereo: AM-FM/CD
Body Style: Coupe Transmission: Manual - 5 speed
Color: Polar Silver Drivetrain: 4 Wheel Drive

Description
No need to spend $15K on upgrades...get one that is ready to go.

1996 Carrera 4S (C4S)
Polar Silver, Dark Blue leather interior, no accidents

I am the 2nd proud owner of this car and 6 of last 7 years were in Northern California. It has never seen snow here in Illinois, minimal rain. Maintained like an aircraft for all of my time of ownership. Recent servicing by ViperBob at Devek, (and in his garage before that…) Minimal DE duty
81K miles, purchased with 30K

$37,000

What's been done:

PSS9 suspension, corner balanced, lowered 1 ¾”, TRG hats, RS rear sway, M030 front
Gert’s FPB and black Automotion strut brace
Factory RS lightweight flywheel, fresh clutch, 75K service done, oil changed every 3-5K
RSR mufflers, sound kit, big ovals
Factory Sound kit, plus air cleaner cutout
Litronics, (include original lights), 3M protection film over lenses
Factory Euro front bumper cover, (no bumperettes), clear indicators, fog light scoops
Factory Turbo S chin spoiler
Rare factory Euro rear bumper cover, (no bumperettes), with C2S split grill in Polar
Silver, (include factory black one piece grill)
Professionally installed Invinca-Shield protection film on key surfaces, always Zaino’d
Factory twists painted Fuchs black with polished rim, good Michelin Pilot Sport Cups
Full power seats, factory metal shift ****, metal handbrake, silver backed aluminum trimmed gauges
Aluminum pedals, footrest and interior door handles
C4S stainless door sill covers
Black three point leather/vinyl Porsche steering wheel, (will include blue factory 4 point with silver badge)
VW Jetta removeable cup holder on console
Serviced by ViperBob, Modderman, Custom Alignment, and Porsche Dealership recently including new rotors/pads/SuperBlue, valve cover gaskets
No leaks, NO Check Engine Light ever
Recent PPI from PCA tech showed no signs of valve guide issue, very strong engine/transmission
Upgraded Alpine CD/amp with MBQuart speakers, very nice sound. (include factory Alpine deck)
Include used fitted Porsche factory car cover

Also available:

$2,000 - set of extremely nice BBS LMs 8.5” and 11” with Michelin Pilot Sport street tires (first rights to car buyer)

$500 - Polar Silver RS3.8 tail, fiberglass with carbon fiber adjustable spoiler and factory rear engine cover for a quick changeover at the track (first rights to car buyer)

$1,000 - 8 Volume 993 workshop manuals, (first rights to car buyer)

NEW Package Deal...$39,000 takes everything, wheels, spoiler, service manuals,original parts (a $40,500 value)
Jim McCrory Rennlist #020122-3327
96 Polar Silver C4S (Sold)
01 Basalt Black Boxster
02 Black Audi S6 (The ManWagon)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr
The fact that a 90,000 was skipped and the seller thinks it is a "5 speed" would give me a little pause about the care/driving experience the car has had. It may be just fine but how closely did he look at the oil level, etc.
Rennlist ads don't allow you to select "6 Speed", so most select 5 speed as it is the closest to being correct. Weird.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:34 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this car last week

It is a very nice example

Good luck with the PPI!

Bob-
Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by zechunique
Its in pretty decent shape, now with just over 101K miles, no top-end (or other major work) done yet. It apparently skipped over its 90K service.
I would be pushing my budget on this.

Not sure if this makes for a logical purchase...

Andreas
Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 261 Posts

So is the asking price now $30k?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

zechunique, who is doing your PPI? I live in the Chicago suburbs, so let me know if you need any help or an ectra set of eyes to review the car.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As you alluded, for sub $30K you probably can't go wrong. More importantly, is this THE car for you? No way, no how would I buy a 993 if it was stretching any budget in today's world unless I would be able to do 100% of the work myself.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:40 PM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all - I appreciate the feedback.

Bob - thanks again. I meant to ask how the exhaust note struck you - the car has some exhaust mods...

Andreas - thanks for the sentiment. I am a hair outside my comfort zone, but not not really playing russian roulette. I'm balancing miles against upgraded components that I would like to do anyway. It boils down to: if the car breaks, it will either sit, or some other catagory will suffer.

Trintony - the original advertised asking price I found it with was $32 for the whole package. I have not discussed selling it independent of the loose items. I also need tires, a PPI, and transport as well.

NoH2O - car is not in Chicago - that was 3 years ago. Sorry for the confusion. And thanks a lot for the offer!

Ken - all good points. I tend to think a little too much sometimes.

What I'm reall fishing for here is: was the top-end ever touched? The seller said that the previous owner did "valve seals" - does this (possibly) include valve guides?? Also, the car has a lightweight clutch - does that imply that the transmission has been refreshed?

Thanks for your patience with the newbie...
Old 09-28-2009, 04:18 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zechunique
Thanks all - I appreciate the feedback.

Bob - thanks again. I meant to ask how the exhaust note struck you - the car has some exhaust mods... The car sounds good, more sound than stock but not quite a Fister Stage II.

What I'm reall fishing for here is: was the top-end ever touched? The seller said that the previous owner did "valve seals" - does this (possibly) include valve guides?? Also, the car has a lightweight clutch - does that imply that the transmission has been refreshed?

From my inspection, there is no evidence that the engine was seriously worked on. I would guess the valve cover gaskets have been replaced ( at least the lowers) since there was no evidence of oil down in the usual parking spot. The PPI should tell all.

I also doubt that the tranny was messed with. The 993 tranny is pretty tough. The car drove a lot like mine, maybe a little less power and a little looser. Exactly how I expect my car to drive with 100k miles.

Thanks for your patience with the newbie...
You will need a SSK though

Bob-
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Do you remember this car?