Sponsored by: DashLynx

airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:51 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default airbag light

So the battery in my MY94 white cab died a few weeks ago as the car wasn't being used. We've also had some heavy rains (i.e. typhoons) the past few weeks and water managed to somehow get into the fusebox. Car would crank but wouldn't start so I pulled all the fuses and relays and let all the contacts dry out. Tried again and still cranks but no starting...replaced the DME relay and car started right up (is this a coincidence that the fusebox gets wet and the DME relay goes bad? I was under the impression that the issue with the DME relay was bad solder points ).

So the car starts up but idles roughly and the airbag light turns on...I let it idle for 15-20 minutes and at some point the airbag light turns off. Is this normal when the battery dies and the whole ECU system is powered down?

TIA
Old 09-26-2009, 06:44 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The airbag control unit is VERY VERY VERY (YES VERY) sensitive to voltage fluctuations - in particular LOW voltage drops. This will trigger an airbag code - that will cause the airbag light to stay on (when you turn the ignition on) for approximately two minutes. Then it will turn off.

This can ONLY be reset via a Bosch Hammer or Durametrics tool -- i.e. a trip to your local $tealership.

Removing power to the car (i.e. disconnecting the battery) for e.g. 24 hrs. in the 'hope' that it will 'dissipate' doesn't work.

It's just annoying, that's all.

Gerry

Quick Reply: airbag light