Sponsored by:

3.6 breathing quarts of oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:36 AM
heeltoe914
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6 breathing quarts of oil

I have a 993 motor with Varioram in a racecar that is having a problem that most would love to have on a older P-cars.
From the time I start the car the Duck pressure jumps to 5 + bars I had figured it was a gauge problem and had planed on looking at it after a track event. But as the day went on the car was literally breathing oil out the crankcase breather. Started with a pint after about 15 mins around Willow springs but by the afternoon within 12 minutes of running at high RPM it filled up about 3 quarts of oil into the breather catch can. I shut it down and called it a day.
After I hooking up a Snap-on mechanical gauge it was still running high oil pressure but after checking the oil pressure relief valves at the bottom of the case and the one on the side of the case it still seems to be running very high oil pressure even when very hot like oil temp 230 its still at 5+ bars.
My system is running a Peterson oil filter housing with a Fram P4 filter and the stock 993 oil filter on the case. All lines run up to a MoCal thermostat & a 16 quart oil tank in the front of the car as well as to the oil cooler. All seems to be getting hot so I feel oil is circulating But I am at a lost at why the pressure is so high and what to do next to correct the problem.

Also there is no oil coming out the exhaust or any smoking until oil drips from the catch can onto the headers.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:39 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I had that problem in an older 911 and what I found was that I had over filled the oil and it expanded when hot thereby creating a mess by overflowing form the catch can. My first uneducated guess would be that the system is overfilled.

Quick Reply: 3.6 breathing quarts of oil