Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: RE-Edit - Mac Pro Book Pro 15" or 17" OR iMac 24" to view Rennlist faster? :o)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iMacs cost more for sure, but then again, so do Porsches. Worth the difference, for some it does. Its all about the experience. As for building your own, sure you can do that, but would you drive a kit car over your factory built 993?

Plus Windows is version 7, Mac is version 10.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:50 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, this forum is made up of people who can't wait for an excuse to work on their cars, and noone has talked about building your own PC. Your can choose your components to fit your budget/use, and it's plug the parts together. i'm posting this with the third computer I've built.

Gary
Old 09-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
My new PC is a MacBook Pro 13.... cannot understand why someone smart, beautiful and intelligent like me could have waited so long...

Had a MAJOR problem exporting th contents of my OUTLOOK pro to the MAC though.

GL
There's a s/w pkg available that does just that, I think it costs $10 for the download. Worked like a charm for me. Let me know if you want the name (for the future), I'll look it up.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:08 PM
User 121721
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB
So, this forum is made up of people who can't wait for an excuse to work on their cars, and noone has talked about building your own PC. Your can choose your components to fit your budget/use, and it's plug the parts together. i'm posting this with the third computer I've built.

Gary
See my post above, I advocated the same thing as you and I am posting with the computer I built.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM
User 121721
Racer

Originally Posted by texas911
iMacs cost more for sure, but then again, so do Porsches. Worth the difference, for some it does. Its all about the experience. As for building your own, sure you can do that, but would you drive a kit car over your factory built 993?

Bad comparison. There is no "Porsche" of computer makers; all makers are assemblers of parts that are widely available to anyone, and if you build your own you are likely to use parts that are of MUCH higher quality than those used by Dell, etc.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB

Gary
I have 1 PC on my desk and and 1 Power Mac, I use both for different things. Most of the web type stuff is done on the Mac. The PC is a self built one too, as were the last 3 I used. The mac is much easier (once you learn it) and when it starts acting flakey just jun the "fix permissions" in the disk utilities and all's well.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:46 PM
texas911
Race Car

Nothing wrong with building your own, but for someone who just wants to use a computer, a company that spends millions of dollars on the R&D on both the software and hardware, is just a better concept than some frankenputer. Believe it or not, lots of people don't care to fiddle with hardware on their computers, they just want it to work and work without any hassles. That's why people pay a premium for Apples.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:46 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The advantages of a "frankenputer" are flexibility and price/performance. My previous post detailed the use of MacOSX on a platform that Apple doesn't yet offer, though the rumor is it will be available "this Fall" I've had mine running since last November... For a given cost a self-built PC will run circles around any Mac.

Mac hardware is tops - bar none. The newer MacBook Pro's are drool-worthy. The hardware integration with the OS and peripherals (Apple or not,) is truly a beautiful thing - for the most part - but to say Apple products are hassle-free is disingenuous. Browse any Apple support forum for proof.

I don't think the OP is interested in a DIY PC, but if others are I'm sure a bunch of us could spec one out based on the use the machine would see - including tips for virus-free computing. I built hundred's of PCs when I was a kid, and still build-my-own now.

One additional point for the OP regardless of which computing religion you choose, I would avoid an all-in-one machine in any case. The lack of flexibility in upgrades may not be important to you, but ease of repair certainly should be. In my experience these days the display monitor typically dies sooner than any other hardware components, even disks. If the display dies on an AIO you could be left with a very expensive brick, assuming the warranty is up.

The PC I'm using now has the same CPU/RAM specs as the Sony AIO listed by the OP, but the graphics capability is far superior, I have 8x the storage, I have (2) 24" monitors running at 1920x1200 each, it's absolutely quiet as I used top-of-the-line components for the case fans and power supply (Noctua/Mushkin). I built it almost a year ago for 60% of what the Sony goes for today, including both monitors. And it runs MacOSX fine.

I buy most monitors at Costco (no hassle return in the case of dead pixels.) For the rest of the hardware I go with NewEgg.

Here's the latest Apple policy on dead pixels:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1721

Many Apple products use active-matrix LCD panels, including the iMac (Flat Panel), MacBook Pro, MacBook, iBook, PowerBook, Apple Cinema displays, and iPod models with a color display. In addition to being slim and light, active-matrix LCD technology provides customers with many visual performance advantages when compared to traditional cathode-ray tube- (CRT) based displays, such as increased brightness, sharpness, and contrast ratio.

Active-matrix LCD technology uses rows and columns of addressable locations (pixels) that render text and images on screen. Each pixel location has three separate subpixels (red, green and blue) that allow the image to be rendered in full color. Each subpixel has a corresponding transistor responsible for turning the subpixel on or off.

There are typically millions of these subpixels on an LCD display. For example, the LCD panel used in the Apple Cinema HD display is made up of 2.3 million pixels and 6.9 million red, green, and blue subpixels. Occasionally, a transistor does not work perfectly, which may result in the affected subpixel being turned on (bright) or turned off (dark). With the millions of subpixels on a display, it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--not just Apple products.

If you suspect your display contains a high number of pixel anomalies, take your Apple product to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for closer examination. There may be a charge for the evaluation.
To me a "high number" of pixel anomalies is one. Obviously Apple would disagree, and to me the lack of a set policy ("up to the discretion of the store manager") is unacceptable. With an AIO platform the situation would be worse, and that's even if the box is still under warranty.

Last edited by mongrelcat; 09-19-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

For those who have specific needs, a home built WIN based computer is the way to go for price and power. After 3 home built desktop, with the last currently still happily running Win XP, I "drank the juice". For my needs, the MacBook Pro, while expensive at first, works perfectly. It’s also a lot more user friendly if you’re not tech-savvy.
I am disappointed that some of the scuba dive log software does not work as well in a Mac environment.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Great discussion. Weighing it all, I'm still leaning towards the Refurb iMac 24" for $1199, skipping the wireless Mac mouse ($63) and wireless Mac keyboard ($around $79 - ouch) for now - just staying old fashioned wired and trying it that way. If the monitor portion of the machine dies, so be it. I'm betting it'll last a really long time. My first computer was like $2600 many years ago for a piece of crap Gateway. Now this very powerful iMac is $1199, not so bad really. My first computer had a tiny screen for double the price.

I'm almost ready to buy. Still a little worried about what some of you guys are saying, but I'll sleep on it a few more days and then decide. I'm not going to get something built for me. I need to get it from a store and be able to return it to that local store for service and repair. I'm a total novice computer user.

Thanks again,
Steve R
Old 09-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Thanks for the tip. One more question. What is the one key on a Mac that erases everything you have typed in an email? That one really frosts me. And what's with iPhoto? The hoops you need to jump through to burn to DVD. Sheesh. And how about a simple file manager.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911

+1

& +1 on apple care...

If you have an iPhone then you understand how innovative Mac is. For home use it is excellent, but I understand why from a corp standpoint people are tied to PC.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:48 AM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

I was a pc guy for ever and switched to a a 13 inch aluminum MAcbook- fully loaded-their is is no way I would go back-For work and play it is just fantastic-the screen is the best out their-i recommend you get it fully loaded as you will regret it later-it is light, gorgeous to look at and runs flawlessly. It is a 993 of laptops! I was worried as I had a 17 inch laptop before-but I don't miss the weight or the size. Great for travel.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:46 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

If you went Mac or PC--Sony, HP, or whatever----you will be just fine. There is a person out there that has had nighmare experiences on Mac's, HP's, and Sony. Ginger/MaryAnne.............Ford/Chevey.................993/996---lovers and dislikers of all.

Im a laptop person--dont care for the clunky size of stationary computers.

I have a Sony Vio laptop and like the size and weight for work travel. My Gateway is the living room PC that I use to run a side business, the HP my girlfriend uses for school and our 3 year plays his games on it. The Acer Netbook (it weights 2lbs) is one that I use to toss in the luggage when we travel and I use it to demo HD Desktop video--its a compelling story that a $300 laptop can demo damn good HD video technology from the desktop wirelessly.

As a former PC industry guy for 8 years, most problems that occur with any brand of computer is user caused, not component failure but yes, hardware fails now and then. In the past 10 years, I had one hard drive. Thats about it.

There isnt one out there than can make you type faster and for the most part, your only as fast as your internet speed.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:19 PM
red89
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Scheurer
Bad comparison. There is no "Porsche" of computer makers; all makers are assemblers of parts that are widely available to anyone, and if you build your own you are likely to use parts that are of MUCH higher quality than those used by Dell, etc.
Actually a very good comparison. Porsche makes no parts and prides themselves on their "just in time" delivery of parts from throughout Germany. Toyota came in and taught them how to make a 996.

Quick Reply: OT: RE-Edit - Mac Pro Book Pro 15" or 17" OR iMac 24" to view Rennlist faster? :o)