Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Going to Florence - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default OT: Going to Florence - recommendations?

Will be in Florence, Italy for a few days at the end of this month.

Its been a few years and we're now taking the kids with us (8 & 5). Looking for any recommendations on restaurants and wine shops/tastings. Looking forward to driving a Fiat 500...

Thanks All! I'll be on on the look out for any 993s while there...
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 AM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

kinda OT, but if you're a watch guy, florence is the home of panerai. lots of us watch geeks visit the boutique when there. i've never been, but its the only thing i know about florence.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I wou8ld like to be a watch guy - and I love Panerais - but I only have 'clearance' for a case or 2 of vino. A $10k watch probably wont go down too well - but I may check it out. Thanks Roche - and best of luck w the sale; thats a great looking car you have.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:09 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

It's the world HQ of Ferragamo, which is worth a visit if only to look at the merchandise and the sleek salespersons. Of course the Duomo and Uffizi (get advance reservations) if you haven't seen them.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 AM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try staying at the Hotel Silla,very close to the Ponte Vecci,booking can be done on line,clean and have PARKING important in Firenze.Pre book your visit to the uffizi on line, it will save hours of waiting. Dont carry much in your wallet they have superb pickpockets but otherwise city is very safe. My wife was frisked by a stunning lady who she thougt was making a pass. Vist Maranello just up the road ,they have a great museum of the old cars,and you just might pick up a winterbeater. Andy.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Palazzo Pitti is a great visit even with kids. Rich in history and was even used as HQ for Napolean. The 'while in Florence' places to visit are: the obligatory Il Duomo Cathedral, Ponte Vecchio and Uffizi Gallery. There's a fantastic little bistro accross from the gallery, the name escapes me. Great food and the wine is cheaper than pop! Can't beat it.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM
red89
Racer

I spent a year there in College.
Do NOT miss La Bussola Restaurant on Via Porta Rossa. They've been serving Pizza since the GIs rolled up from Sicily.
When I go back, I sit there and feel at the Center of the Universe. They open at 7PM.

Last edited by red89; 10-28-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
red89
Racer

Default Best Ice Cream

Perche No? (Why Not?) on Via dei Tavolini, one block from Piazza Republica for the Best Gelato.
God, I'm jealous
Attached Images  

Last edited by red89; 10-28-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Firenze is pretty small and easy to walk. Most has been covered above, but you can also: take the train to Pisa, it is only about 40 minutes by train. The Galleria Pallatina across Ponte Vecchio is quite nice, walk the gardens.

I saw a special on the National Geographic Channel the other night that showed the above ground passage that the Medici built from the tower behind David , the one in Piazza Della Signoria that goes over Ponte Vecchio to the Galleria, so they could move about the city and even attend mass, without associating with the commoners. It was really fascinating.

We had cappacino at Piazza Della Republica in the restaurant that is at the North end of the square late at night. Fascinating jsut to sit back, and see all the people congregating etc...

The square where the boar is, is kinda interesting, some outdoor carts selling all kinds of stuff there.

All over there are street performers, we came across one young lady singing opera on the street. she was amazing!

It is illegal to purchase good from the guys selling Gucci, Prada bags and sunglasses on the street, but it is pretty interesting to watch them as they look our for Polezia and quickly grab up all their things and duck behind crowds.

keep your wallet in your front pocket...which pretty much goes for everywhere in Italy.

Watch out for people posing as Police and showing you fake badges, they will ask to see your passport etc... and give you lines. Do not give it to them. We encountered them in Rome. Stand your ground and do not let them handle any of your things.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Between 5 flights, 4 countries, and 8 days in Europe this summer, Im bummed we didnt get to Florence for a day. We did spend 4 days in Venice but with a wedding activities going on, we just hung out and got lost in Venice!

Enjoy!!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Uffizi for sure. Galleria di accademia for the statue of David....worth a visit if only to see 1 statue. Plenty more to see there, but David is impossible to top. www.gallerieaccademia.org

Just wander the streets....the old town is a very compact place and you can get to know it in a couple of days. You will feel as if you wandered into the 1500s and might bump into your old friend Medici...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My best advice on Florence is to skip it entirely. It's COMPLETELY overrun with tourists. That has a profoundly negative affect on any city, IMHO since it becomes so difficult to really experience the culture and food. Whatever you do, don't go to restaurants cited in popular guidebooks like Rick Steves if you can even get a reservation. Dealing with so many tourists is ok when the sights are worth it (e.g. Rome) but in Florence they're simply not (although the David is supremely cool). If you do go, just try to get off the beaten paths when possible. Never ever eat at outdoor restaurants on popular squares; the food is 3x the price and 1/3 the quality. Do order a coconut + lemon gelato. We found Pisa (not far) a welcome respite from the throngs of tourists in Florence.

Just returned yesterday from Milan. Not really anything to do in Milan (except go to the F1 race!) but at least you can experience (mostly) authentic italian lifestyle & food. Unfortunately that also means italian attitudes too, but at least there aren't many tourists.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If your renting a car drive to Montelcino for a day trip (not far) and order a glass or two of Brunello and some sharp cheeses at any outside cafe. Your taste buds will think they died and went to heaven. Also, I found Sienna (also not far) to be a less crowded, more tourist friendly environment with almost as much art to view. See the Duomo in Sienna and tour the museum next door.
Make sure your sufficiently insured (the deductable with the optional damage ins. is still 800 Eurofor most rentals) and do a CAREFUL inspection of the car before you drive it away. Ask me how I know. Oh yeah, and only drive in the passing lane when passing or you'll find a fast car up your tailpipe.
I'm also jealous. Ciao
Old 09-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great suggestions everyone, thanks!!

We'll be driving in to Florence from Pisa - hence the 500. and then have two and a half days there before driving back to Pisa and onto London.

Don't know if we'll have time to leave Firenze but I do plan to walk south of the Arno and up to Michaelangelo Park for some vista views and quieter streets.

We're staying in a small hotel nr the Duomo that has parking.

Will hope to go to the Enoteca at least once to taste and buy some domestic wine, and we know all about Ferragamo from our last visit!!

Keep the suggestions coming...
Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sienna and San Gimignano are 2 must day trips. Incredible.

This will sound like a cliche: there is a place near the Duomo called something ...IL Trattoria (I know it means restuarant) I have the card at the house but the dining was perfect. Small Husband/Wife owned establishment very small and romantic. I'll see if I can find the card when i get home.

Uffizi, Ponte Vecchio, MA's David, Duomo...beautiful renaissance Italian city. No car needed, train goes everywhere.

Quick Reply: OT: Going to Florence - recommendations?