Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Seat Recovering (with a crest)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 11:30 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Sport Seat Recovering (with a crest)

My sport seats are about the only thing on my car that I think looks ratty. For only 37k miles, I just don't think the seats wore very well for 12 years old. They're not torn or scuffed, just really crackly.

I tried using Leatherique, and while it softened them some, it's not a miracle cure. So, it looks like my options are to recover them or to send them to Leatherique (maybe) to be redone.

I don't mind having them recovered, but I have the factory crest on them, and would like to keep it. I don't think anyone has that die in the US to redo it with, so what are my options?

About the only thing I can come up with is having someone reuse that section of the seat (with the possibility that it doesnt' match the rest of the seat color wise) or order two new crests from Porsche as a custom order.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seats

CS: You can have the color exactly matched with Surflex http://www.colorplus.com/
Old 09-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as a new cover is concerned. I went with www.gahh.com on my sport seats. Great quality and fit. Only bad thing is no crest embossed on the headrest. You have to go OEM for that and I am sure the $$$$ is very high. Maybe try the redye route 1st and see if that does the fix.

Mike
Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics might help with some ideas.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

You're right, Bart, here's a couple pics:

As you can see, they're not torn or ripped, just overly worn looking.

I'd rather not have to replace them, if possible, but not sure what else to do with them.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 551 Posts

There is no way to bring those seats back to life Scott...go ahead and replace them!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zedder
There is no way to bring those seats back to life Scott...go ahead and replace them!
+1 You can dye and fill the cracks, but the seats are pretty worn. If it were me I'd be replacing the covers.

Mike
Old 09-07-2009, 02:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow. Those ARE some crackly seats. My car has twice the mileage and is a year older and my seats look brand new. I'm wondering if your car is parked outdoors or is it garaged? Methinks heat and/or sun damage may be the culprit...?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:07 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Wow. Those ARE some crackly seats. My car has twice the mileage and is a year older and my seats look brand new. I'm wondering if your car is parked outdoors or is it garaged? Methinks heat and/or sun damage may be the culprit...?
The car spent most of it's life in the heat (Florida, San Diego, and Oklahoma), so I'm guessing the heat had the most to do with it. Although, I'm sure neglect factored in nicely as well.

Blessedly, the leather dash and everywhere else is fine, but those seats just didn't wear well at all. Wonder if Porsche would do some good will on them

One of my buddies runs the local P-car dealer, I'll ask him what Porsche says about a couple of swatches of leather with the stamp on them the next time he orders a black interiored car. Hey, it's worth asking , but I'm sure I'll think the answer is funny knowing how they are anymore.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 PM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My driver side is not as bad as Scott's but its got alot of wear. What kind of $$$ do these seat covers with crest run? thx
Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if there are any professional leather restorers in your area.
These people typically do automotive as well as household leather.

I have heard of dealers using these guys with great results:
http://fabrion.net/

This is an outfit in my area, I assume there are similar ones in major cities:
http://www.europeanleatherrepair.com/

I have seen original leather seats redone by a really good leather guy, it's amazing what they can do. Seats look new at a fraction of what new covers would cost.

Your seats are not cracked yet. I'm not an expert by any means, but they look like they would be easily reconditioned.
My seats with 55K and 14 years of use were reconditioned by the Porsche dealer before I bought it from them, and they look nearly new to me.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:47 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Not to rub it in, but my 968 has 185k miles and the seats look waaay better than that. Methinks those will need a recover.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check something to see if these are the original seat . Maybe the PO made a buck had Hard back sports seat sold for $$ and seats ???????
Rest of interior good except the seat and 37k miles ????

Cheers Guy
Old 09-07-2009, 07:42 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by briefescape
I would check something to see if these are the original seat . Maybe the PO made a buck had Hard back sports seat sold for $$ and seats ???????
Rest of interior good except the seat and 37k miles ????

Cheers Guy
The seats are hardback sports, and are on the original build, so they're probably original to the car. Heat and sun is about the only guesses I can come up with, the Carfax verified the mileage when I bought the car.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:45 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I've been looking around, and I think I'll just take them to 928leather...they seem to do superb work, and maybe they can salvage my crests. If not, perhaps I can have their embroidered crests put into the headrests in a black stitching...that'd be nice too, I think.

Thanks for all the tips!

Quick Reply: Sport Seat Recovering (with a crest)