Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Suggestions for Pickup Tonneau Covers

Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OT: Suggestions for Pickup Tonneau Covers

Hi: Sorry this is not a 993 question but this group seems to always have good feedback on all sorts of topics.

I purchased a 2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Double Cab with a 6.5 Foot pickup bed and was wondering if any of you had any experience or suggestions for a hard or soft cover tonneau cover for the pickup bed of my truck.

There seems to be so many makes and models and I am looking for the best bang for the buck.

Thanks

Scott
Old 09-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Scott..... I don't know much about the brands, but there are always several listed on Craigslist. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't get the hard tonneau cover. Why not get an SUV instead?
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I don't get the hard tonneau cover. Why not get an SUV instead?
Pick ups are great because you can get the bed really dirty and then hose it out or simply not care if you get mud, paint, mulch, etc. everywhere. SUV's require more care and don't take kindly to being hosed out. With a hard tonneau, you can hide tools, etc. in the bed. I would never consider a soft tonneau.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Fold-a-Cover on my Tundra. I liked it and it held up well.

http://www.foldacover.com/
Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 PM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Pick ups are great because you can get the bed really dirty and then hose it out or simply not care if you get mud, paint, mulch, etc. everywhere. SUV's require more care and don't take kindly to being hosed out. With a hard tonneau, you can hide tools, etc. in the bed. I would never consider a soft tonneau.
what Mark said +10

I haul about 1000lbs of shrubs/prunings a couple times a year from my yard in my big Econoline and it was always a mess as bugs of all sorts would get into my interior cabin and multiply and I would end up fumigating the whole van for a couple days to get rid of all the bugs -never again with the pickup.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and the hard cover seems to be the way to go.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Have had a hard tonneau before. I now have a Century cap and find it much more versatile, secure and weather-resistant. Variety of window, light and vent options and can order paint to match. Approx. $1K and well worth it.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a roll-out cover on my F-350, love it and didn't go with the hard cover because if you want to cover some of the bed but need to have little bit open when you have something tall, you can do that with the roll-out.
Or to keep the whole bed open when you have a lot of (tall) stuff, with roll-out, you just roll it in front and it stays there, hard cover my friend had in his F-150 was a pain in the *** (high end thing but very heavy) to take off for those occasions.

IIRC mine's a Truxedo TruXport. I like it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe Access and Truxedo are the two popular brands of roll-up tonneau covers. They are not as secure as hardcovers, obviously, but I think they are more flexible - pun not intended. I don't store valuables in my bed and just want weather protection so the soft vinyl covers fit my needs. The roll-up capability comes in handy if you happen to make an unexpected purchase of some tall item at your local hardware store. Plus rolling up the cover is a one person operation versus removing a hardcover.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 AM
SR71BLACKBIRD
Racer

Thanks again everyone for the insight as there were so many options in the market place and I was really lost on what to purchase.

The feedback was great from everyone and after considering a canopy which my daughter vetoed :-( and considering what my needs were, a soft top tonneau seemed like the way to go. I ordered an Access Tonneau Sport cover for 285.00 including shipping.

The option of being able to keep the bed open when I need to move tall stuff really won me over.

I should be receiving it at the end of next week and can't wait to install it.

Thanks again guys - you're the best !!!

P.S Flying Finn I love your F350 - It's hot!!!!

Scott

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: Suggestions for Pickup Tonneau Covers