Sponsored by:

Heel and Toe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel and Toe?

So after install installing the Rennline Rev2 pedal set I have been working on heel and toe down shifting.

I tried doing it with my little toe on the accelerator and my big toe on the brake, but that was not very satisfactory. Lately I have been working on using my heel on the accelerator and that seems better. I have also found the type of shoe makes a big difference. A closer fitting shoe that is narrow really helps, Keens and Combat Boots suck.

So the question is, how do All'ya'all heel and toe?

Also, how high do you rev the engine, 1000, 2000, 3000 RPMs???

thanks,
--Joe
Old 08-17-2009, 06:18 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you rev it as high as you need to, to match the revs. I find it much easier to do on the track because you are ether on the brakes or on the gas, running the car in a higher range. On the street, I feel you can only really effectively heel/toe from 3rd to 2nd. Top of 3rd, you are close to 100 mph.

Try down shifting from 2nd to 3rd in a place where you don't need to use the break. blip the throttle on the downshift, without touching the break, to get an idea of how much throttle you need to match the revs.

Trying to do it at low revs, lower speed, you apply less pressure to the break and more to the gas. I find this difficult, because you are doing the opposite at high speeds/hard breaking. At higher speed/heavier breaking, you are putting more pressure on the break and usually a lighter tap to the throttle. Be careful not to release pressure of the break when trying to rock your foot over.

Some guys use just the top of their foot, half on break, half over to gas. But if you want to be sure to keep your foot on the break, top foot on break, rock/roll bottom half of foot or heel, or half of heel to gas.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:42 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find it quite hard on 993 compared to the S2000 - the pedals are positioned perfectly that you don't have to think twice in the latter.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:59 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

I hate to be so crass, but, like making love, everyone has their own favorite way! Remember, no one said it's EZ. You may need to be somewhat of a contortionist. I prefer to put the ball of my foot on the brake pedal, then rock my foot over to the right so as to put the right side of my foot on the left side of the accelerator and just rotate my foot over to do the "blip". The height of the brake pedal in relationship to the accelerator pedal is very important. When under full compression, the brake pedal should be level with or just slightly higher than the accel. pedal. Keep in mind, it doesn't matter how you do it, it's the end result that matters. It should be so smooth that someone in the right seat, blindfolded, shouldn't feel anything but smooth, steady decelleration.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The pedals on the 993 were not really set up well for my liking even with the acc. pedal fully raised on its adjustment screw. Instead of messing the brake adjustment (and because I wanted the gap between the pedals to be smaller I chose to modify my gas pedal since I had an aluminum pedal to sandwich my modifications with). I raised it about a half inch and moved it over a good inch towards the brake pedal. Now it's perfect...at 8/10 to full braking I can easily have a safe amount of my foot on the brake without worrying about it slipping off and roll my foot over to blip the throttle. it likely would not work for someone with big feet as they would be too close but for me, especially with my driving shoes on it's just right. Before, I had to contort my foot so much it was not comfortable or natural...now it's right there where I want it.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:30 PM
cmoss

Useles without video...
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...hing_57431.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPj9XXW25GA
Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Ball of foot on brake (which is where most of the presure needs to be)...rotate heel to the right and press accelerator. I find that since the brake needs some modulation it is easier to achieve this with ankle rotation as opposed to the accelerator blip which just requires a "stab" which is more suited to movement of the leg as a whole....if that makes any sense...
Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
I hate to be so crass, but, like making love, everyone has their own favorite way! Remember, no one said it's EZ. You may need to be somewhat of a contortionist. I prefer to put the ball of my foot on the brake pedal, then rock my foot over to the right so as to put the right side of my foot on the left side of the accelerator and just rotate my foot over to do the "blip".
Hey, this is the way I do it.... Can we call this the "missionary" position?

I heel and toe all the time (street or track) on any car with a manual tranny.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

Here's another vid in a Carrera GT. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3ULS7pnxyg
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveM993
Ball of foot on brake (which is where most of the presure needs to be)...rotate heel to the right and press accelerator. I find that since the brake needs some modulation it is easier to achieve this with ankle rotation as opposed to the accelerator blip which just requires a "stab" which is more suited to movement of the leg as a whole....if that makes any sense...
+1

To give you an idea, I wear size 9 wide in shoes. I personally feel the accelerator pedal on the 993 is a bit too far to the side and a bit low to use the ball of the foot to do both the breaking and blipping. I use the ball of my foot to break and rotate over with my heel to blip. Practice using both techniques and see which one you like. But I would do it in actual conditions in a track if you could. It's a lot easier to use the ball of your foot for both under moderate breaking, but try it at 8/10-10/10 breaking and you might think twice about rolling you toe away from it's primary task of slowing down the car.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:25 AM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hrpkHoyrM

Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
Nice video!! I was rooting for that pass the whole time!
Old 08-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I use the ball of my foot on the brake, right side on the gas.

Its hard to get size 13s in there sideways to use the heel on the gas.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Seems like "toe and toe" versus the heel and toe depends on where you plant your heal. In the videos the guys doing the smoothest fastest technique are not moving their heel a bunch. If you keep your heal planted near the brake the toe and toe seems faster, but if you keep heel near the accelerator the heel and toe seems faster. Personally the heel and toe has been working better for me.

My intent is to use the technique on the track; however, that is not always the best place to learn the basics of a something new. I have been practicing on the street for some time, and finally came up with some questions.

Thanks,
--Joe
Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Floodj

My intent is to use the technique on the track; however, that is not always the best place to learn the basics of a something new. I have been practicing on the street for some time, and finally came up with some questions.

Thanks,
--Joe
Yeah sorry Joe, didn't mean to suggest doing it on the track amidst other cars. I was just suggesting a controlled area where you could be at the cars "limit" and see what each feels like under the required forces. Definitely practice the method you like in daily driving to get the motion and feel down. I am still sweetening it up... every once in a while, I'll find myself overrevving or underrevving it causing the car to buck a bit. Not necessarily good to unsettle the car prior to turning in Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe?