HID Headlight alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:52 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HID Headlight alignment question

When I first installed my slim ballast HID's, the projector beam was way too low. Could see about 50-60 feet ahead and then it was black if I was on an unlit road. Had a bad adjustment mechanism (thanks to me) and sprang for a new headlight assembly.

I have them dialed in now. Very happy after finally getting the benefit.

But I had to align vertical alignment almost all the way up. Bubble towards the front of the car.

Horizontal is now good but their off the recommended markings also.

Anyone with a similar experience?

I have tested multiple times on busy roads at night. No flashing from oncoming drivers. When I drive on dark roads at night, the brights do little-have H1 silver stars for brights. HID's are the best.

But I'm curious about this alignment thing?

The recommended alignment worked best with stock and HI silver stars which I tried in the projector before getting HID's. ??

chuck
Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like maybe there is some binding where your bulbs go into the hole of the light housing. Surprising it would be the same on both sides, but that would be the first thing I checked.

Could be the bulb base needs a little filing down or something...

dave
Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Mine were way off also. I think that you always have to make drastic adjustments for the HID's
I know this because now tha the HID"s are right my high beams are way out of place.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 AM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Same deal with mine. Went through the trial and error adjustment phase and am pleased with the front of the bubble forward of the stock max. setting by 2 increments. Then I converted my fogs to daytime running and adjusted them up to the bottom of the HD pattern. No complaints from oncoming traffic-yet. A garage wall and some blue painters tape really gives us a sense of power!
Neil
Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nsully
Same deal with mine. Went through the trial and error adjustment phase and am pleased with the front of the bubble forward of the stock max. setting by 2 increments. Then I converted my fogs to daytime running and adjusted them up to the bottom of the HD pattern. No complaints from oncoming traffic-yet. A garage wall and some blue painters tape really gives us a sense of power!
Neil

Yep. I used blue painters tape on my fence and that's how I finally got them dialed in. Sounds like this is kind of normal. I'm happy.

Thanks guys,
chuck
Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Issue w/ mine as well. I reseated how the ballast sat in the housing and alignment turned out to be a snap.

Quick Reply: HID Headlight alignment question