Sponsored by:

OT: Interesting Book on Ford & Ferrari at LeMans in the 1960's

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts
Default OT: Interesting Book on Ford & Ferrari at LeMans in the 1960's

A.J. Baime has written a book called "Go Like Hell - Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at LeMans." Some of you will remember that in the early 1960's, Ford attempted to buy Ferrari but were rebuffed by Enzo Ferrari at the last minute. As a result, Henry Ford II set a goal of beating Ferrari at LeMans. The result was the development of the Ford GT 40 and the Ferrari 330 P3. Baime's book is a well researched and fairly well written account of the battle that ensued.

The 1965 running of LeMans was the first European sporting event transmitted live via sattelite to a U.S. audience (And I, just graduated from high school, watched every moment of it...I still remember Phil Hill setting the lap record in a GT 40).

Anyway, the book has facts in it I was never aware of, is fairly well written, and for me at least, tied up a ot of loose ends about Carol Shelby, Ken Miles, Bruce McClaren, Loyd Ruby, John Surtees, Phil Hill, Jim Hall (Chapparel) and a score of others' involvement in LeMans. It's about the cars to an extent, but really about the men, with the focus on Henry Ford, Enzo Ferrari, Shelby, Miles and Surtees.

It's a pretty good read about an era when Porsche was just beginning to show up on the international sports car racing radar.

Terry

Last edited by TMc993; 08-07-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-05-2009, 11:38 PM
statonb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1. Just finished this book a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it very much.

Quick Reply: OT: Interesting Book on Ford & Ferrari at LeMans in the 1960's