993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help in removing catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help in removing catalytic converter

So, I'm finally getting around to installing the new Dach Cat I bought from Chris last year, along with a set of Robin's very best modified mufflers.

1. When I unscrew the Sensor in the Cat., the wire keeps winding tighter and tighter. I can see where the sensor leads to a oval bracket that is above the Cat. does this unplug? Do I just leave the sensors in the Cat. untill its clear of the engine, and then remove them? I'm trying to neither break the wires by screwing them too tight, or bust them by tugging on them too hard.

2. I assume the bolts that hold the Cat. onto the exhaust manifold need a lot of persuasion before they will budge. Again, not wanting to bust anything unless necessary, any hints?

Thanks for your help,

Gary
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Easiest to unplug the O2 sensor(s) on the top side and feed the wiring to the underside of the car. This way you can turn it all at once.

I didn't have too much trouble unbolting the cat from the headers.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:33 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try some penetrating lube on the bolts for a bit first. Air tools work well on those.

+1 on disconnecting 02 sensor above the engine tin.

dave
Old 08-05-2009, 07:38 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you got some new bolts to attach the cat to the exhaust manifold. One of the heads sheared off when I tried to remove mine......
Old 08-05-2009, 09:43 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ha to cut some of my exhaust bolts. Just get all new ones and fo for it. I did soak mine in PB Blaster for a day before.

I don't think I did do anything with the O2 sensor except unscrew it from below, but the wires did get tight.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Many thanks for the help. I've already used PB Blaster on the bolts, but I'll try a couple of applications, and I'll also try to track the O2 sensor wires to see where they uplug. If your hear a loud WAHOO of success, you'll know it worked.

Gary
Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
GaryB
Instructor

Well, verry close to sucess, but the last O2 sensor would not come out; started rounding the corners when using my new Snap On 22 mm wrench. I found that if I just removed the rubber grommets that seal the lower engine area from the upper, I could get the wires loose enough to unwind the sensors without unpluging them.

So, my next plan is to clip the wires on the offending sensor, drop the Cat. and work on it on the bench. Can I buy a single O2 sensor at a time, or do they come in matched sets?

Many thanks for the help.

Gary

Quick Reply: Need help in removing catalytic converter