Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original 993 in San Diego To Look At

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:41 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chaos - 24k - I think wise money might be on a boxster. 24k might buy you some troubles.

Make sure you are budgeting for potential repair bills straight off the bat, even on a good car.

Some folks will tell you they spend a couple of hundred on an oil change a year, but most people spend 1 to 2 k in the first year (putting stuff right / setting a baseline) and then 1k a year on tires, servicing, whatever.

If you intend on tracking the car likelyhood is that you'll need to sort the suspension also.

GL
Old 08-05-2009, 07:00 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I am very concerned with the cost of parts, I am a professional mechanic. While I have never worked on a Porsche the 993's seem very simple.
The only reason I could see spending a couple of hundred dollars on oil changes is if the oil costs $20/qt. I plan on getting a second set of tires/rims if I end up going to the track.
Despite being a great deal, Boxsters are out of the question for the same reason Miatas are.
After speaking with Jae at Mirage I will probably install some Bilsteins and springs right off the bat and re-align the car.
I think I am on the right track. If anything is wrong with the car I simply won't buy it.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a 1997 C2 in Texas for $30k with only 8,000 miles on it this morning. My wife called within 30 minutes of it being posted and someone was already wiring him the full amount for the car, sight unseen!
Good deals are out there, you just have to be FAST and have cash.

Quick Reply: Original 993 in San Diego To Look At