Sponsored by:

Can't reuse rear window?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009 | 04:49 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Default Can't reuse rear window?

Hi all,

The pro window guy removed my 95 993 rear window for some minor rust repair. When it was removed, the plastic perimeter around the window glass crumbled. Now I need to buy a new $800 window since the plastic seal is not available separately.

I tried a wrecking yard rear window, but that plastic was no better.

Any other alternatives before I spend the $800?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-01-2009 | 07:18 PM
cy7878
Instructor

I get a second opinion. I had to have my rear window remounted because it literally was moving in and out of the frame as the doors closed. The shop has no problemclean up some minor amouts of rust and reseal the window back on.
Old 08-02-2009 | 06:03 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

I ended up having to get a new one because of that plastic problem. Really stupid design. It's a lot of money but worth it because then the new seal will fit well and keep more water out.

Just make sure they get the right window for your car. When the shop ordered mine, they sent the wrong one twice - had a different number/arrangement of wires for the defroster.

dave
Old 08-02-2009 | 06:40 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I ordered mine through Sunset, think they asked for the VIN to make sure they got the right one for the car.

Had to be shipped from the fatherland, so took about 3 weeks to arrive.
Old 08-04-2009 | 02:40 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. A new window seems to be the consensus.
Pete
Old 08-04-2009 | 03:28 PM
Uber 911

Before you buy a new screen, I had the same problem. My superb window fitter, a fellow 911 owner, got hold of standard screen rubber($10), trimmed the screen and bonded it in as usual. Perfect..
Old 08-04-2009 | 08:03 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Do tell... What is a "standard screen rubber"? I assume this is building up the groove to hold the outer seal? We looked at trying to do that with the plastic from the old windshield, but it was all too brittle.

Window has been ordered, but not yet shipped.
Old 08-04-2009 | 08:35 PM
Uber 911

Originally Posted by ppressle
Do tell... What is a "standard screen rubber"? I assume this is building up the groove to hold the outer seal? We looked at trying to do that with the plastic from the old windshield, but it was all too brittle.

Window has been ordered, but not yet shipped.
The OE design is shall we say, flawed. Its critical you have a really good window fitter to make this work, they have all the trick gear, rubber feet spacers, primers, bond agent etc... Standard screen rubber? over here it came off a Ford Transit van(UK) but, but, but the window fitter knew that!
Old 08-04-2009 | 10:57 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the window fit templates if you want... gave them to my install guy when he did mine. He was glad I had them, since they help with setting the glass at the right depth.

The glass place I used is the same as all the Porsche dealers in the city, but for some reason they didn't have the templates! I handed them the ones I bought from the factory so they'd know I was serious about wanting a perfect job.

They did great, I'm a happy customer. And they asked for my number so they could borrow them again if another owner needed his rear glass replaced. Some day I expect them to call, if I'm smart I'll charge them for it.

But for a fellow Rennlister, they're available for shipping only.

Quick Reply: Can't reuse rear window?