Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fister DiPietro Motorsports Short Shift Kit & Golden Rod.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fister DiPietro Motorsports Short Shift Kit & Golden Rod.

Just wanted to mention I installed my first mod today. The Fister DiPietro Motorsports SSK & Golden Rod.

I was going to pay a Porsche mechanic to install it for me. I decided to go to a shop that I frequent with both of my other cars and talk to the owner and see if he would let me rent one of his lift bays for a couple hours because I like doing this kinda thing myself when possible but live where our association rules forbid it. At first he was hesitant to let me do the work myself in his shop... He agreed to let me accompany him while working on it. I agreed to pay him $80/hr the shops going rate. I just wanted to work on her or be involved in working on her myself. We started the job together and shortly after removing the ~20 cover screws from the bottom of the car and I started removing the old parts he seemed a whole lot more comfortable and left me to do the rest of the job myself.

I had gone over the instructions several times and didn't even need them, but I was referencing them just to get the correct tool sizes without guessing. The hardest part was trying to put the two carrier halves back together in the car with fresh grease on them the top one wouldn't sit still. Finally I got the 4 Allen Bolts back in and tightened down. Finished the job. It was FUN.

I found out that my diagnosis was off a bit and it was actually NOT the cup bushings that had failed. When inspecting them they were in better shape than I anticipated and were actually difficult to remove. Turns out the set screw (bolt) that attaches the shift rod to the trans worked itself off. I was luckily it was flopping inside the boot. The Shift rod was only connected to the trans by the rubber boot and was actually strong enough to shift from 3rd to 4th by pulling the rod in the trans and pushing it back from 4th to 3rd. I could have fixed it by putting some loc-tite 242 on the bolt and putting it back in & torquing it down. Did I? Hell no! I already had all these nice upgraded parts. So I Installed them

So I finished in about 90 minutes and went back to talk to the owner of the shop to square up with him and he decided to give me a deal and only charged me $100 for using the lift.

This is how the car should have been designed to start. The new feel is great although it's much more precise and will take a little getting used to. Damn Im gonna have to practice driving the car more now.

Mark & Darin were great to work with and make a great product. Thanks guys.

Nick
Old 07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Nick,
I'm glad to hear you got your shift issue resolved. I'm also glad you did it yourself, nice work. These cars are a lot of fun to work on, and the satisfaction of a job well done is very gratifying.
Now get out there and enjoy that beast!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably for insurance reasons more than not trusting you.

Originally Posted by Warpig
....At first he was hesitant to let me do the work myself in his shop... He agreed to let me accompany him while working on it.....
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Probably for insurance reasons more than not trusting you.
I'm sure that was it. I figured that would be his reason to say "no" all together. Maybe I need to get a part time job at a garage somewhere just to use the lift... Nah, probably a bad Idea... That would seriously increase the velocity of my slide down the slope.

Originally Posted by FisterD
Nick,
I'm glad to hear you got your shift issue resolved. I'm also glad you did it yourself, nice work. These cars are a lot of fun to work on, and the satisfaction of a job well done is very gratifying.
Now get out there and enjoy that beast!
I really enjoyed working on her myself. I was really looking forward to trying to work a way out to do it myself. It was extremely satisfying. I wonder if i could talk my mom into letting me install a lift in her garage.

Nick

Quick Reply: Fister DiPietro Motorsports Short Shift Kit & Golden Rod.