Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: My construction of the century (condo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:21 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

I have been busy and haven't had a chance to check out the board in a while (also been busy on Clubtouareg :-). I come back to all this excitement! Place looks great and I am sure it will look even better when you are done. I was just over there the other day and wondering how things were coming along. Looks like you have a lot of decisions to make. I lived in a loft in the Leather district with a similar style. If you are looking for ideas got to www.loftsboston.com and check out some of the lofts for sale and their archives. There are a lot of creative designs in there and some of them are just spectacular. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Chris, thanks for the picks! It's a bit more office/industrial than what I'm looking for, but definitely gives me some ideas.

Kevin, thank you for encouragement. We need all we can get - it's tough to do a renovation, but twice as tough to try and do it remotely. I've looked at some of the pics on loftboston, will look more. Great ideas to be had there, for sure. Our biggest limitation is low ceilings. If that was not the case - I have some grand ideas of my own

PS. Hope your car is back together and on the road? Mine is sitting somewhere in Framingham with no time to deal with it - I took Miata to NYC. I must say that coilovers and NYC streets are an even worse combo that coilovers and Boston bombed-out asphalt.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is like I have it, but in smaller strips between the beams I bet it would look great! I'm assuming your building was a commercial building back in the day, this would be a cool way to bring that feel back that isn't expensive and isn't going to be a focal point unit one looks up?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

Unfortunately my car is not back together, I really underestimated the time to get her back together, as I can't work on it during the week because its in RI. I've been replacing things one by one and also done a lot of maintenance where I see fit. So it's def an investment in the running future. Perhaps we will both be done with our "projects" at the same time. I hope not! I will swing by as you are about 5 mins from me now and maybe you can give me a tour of the place and you can take her for a ride!

Kevin
Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kevin, any time. Once the project is done, if it's ever done
Old 07-25-2009, 04:41 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

I was mistaken on the hardwood floor brand mentioned earlier. It is not Bella Cera, but LW Mountain handscraped maple. http://www.lwmountain.com/
Old 07-25-2009, 06:37 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike

Good luck on your construction. I have a lot of respect for you to go thru this "project of the lifetime" I am going thru a landscaping project right now, and it has been 2 months and seems like never ending. I also just upgraded my heating and cooling, and i had to check and double check everything these guys did. I was not happy with the quality of workmanship etc etc. I was planning to upgrade my bath and kitchen but I just don't have the nerve dealing with contractors and all the related issues. I feel that the sales person always does a great job selling the project, however, the project itself is a totally whole different ball game.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DougM
I was mistaken on the hardwood floor brand mentioned earlier. It is not Bella Cera, but LW Mountain handscraped maple. http://www.lwmountain.com/
Doug, I'm waiting on LM flooring samples right now. We don't have any distributors in our area (I called LM). We'll see what i get samples-wise, we are looking at Asheville line. Is Mountain more or less distressed? Is it wavy?

Tjangi, thanks! It's tough, especially not being in Boston while this is happening...
Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

I have only used the Mountain brand. It is nice and many people have asked where I got it. Because of the distress, touch up is really simple with a Minwax stain pen if you get a scratch or ding. It just blends in. If they send you a sample board, that will give you a good representation.

Quick Reply: OT: My construction of the century (condo)