Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help! Broken Belt...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:14 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new pulley is shown in the photo. Notice that the surface of the pulley flairs out and becomes the mating surface that the nut tightens directly onto. With the original pulley, the same surface is flat and there is a separate spacer along with any extra shims between the pulley and the nut. Extra alternator shims are not stored outside the pulley with the revised setup.

This picture was taken in my car before I installed new belts. I discovered that the fan and alternator belts were reversed and the shims were all messed up to make it work. That is why more threads are showing than normal.... but you get the idea.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2009, 11:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by cmat
The new pulley is shown in the photo. Notice that the surface of the pulley flairs out and becomes the mating surface that the nut tightens directly onto. With the original pulley, the same surface is flat and there is a separate spacer along with any extra shims between the pulley and the nut. Extra alternator shims are not stored outside the pulley with the revised setup.
Excellent description.

Andreas
Old 08-19-2009, 10:18 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Above posters give you excellent information. It it sounds mildly confusing, don't sweat.

You need the "star" tool. It looks like a hex wrench except it has twelve sides. I know they sell them in a little set at pep boys--think it's a socket at pep boys whereas the oem is a little angled wrench sort of thing. It's in the tool aisle. I've read the pep boys tool is too long to fit in the narrow space between the pulley and the body work and needs to be cut down, but I don't know. Most of us borrow the tool from another 964 or 993 owner for our emergency, and then purchase from pelican or sunset. IIRC, the tool came in the 964 tool wrap, but not in the 993. Sunset had it in stock when I purchased. Don't know if local dealers stock it.

Yes, you should update the pulley halves (not the rs update which is much more complicated and hardly necessary), but it's not important to do asap. You can find the tsb online, but it says nothing other than remove old part, discard shims and use new part. It's not a recall item. Do it now or later--removing the pulley and belt takes 60 seconds. Extremely important that you use the oem belt as the continental brand that is readily available is slightly different width and will shred, guaranteed.

Look up the DIY for belts over on the pcar diy web site. It explains the little washer spacers holding the pulley halves apart. After you do this repair once, you'll agree it's a one on a scale of one to ten.

My opinion: If you need the car immediately, find a buddy with the tool and get the belt at the dealer. Likely that someone who knows they have the tool also has used it and can demonstrate. Otherwise, order the tool, the new pulley halves, and two belts (one for now, and the other as a spare) from sunset. Read the DIY a couple times, and don't sweat.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
You need the "star" tool. It looks like a hex wrench except it has twelve sides. I know they sell them in a little set at pep boys--think it's a socket at pep boys whereas the oem is a little angled wrench sort of thing. It's in the tool aisle. I've read the pep boys tool is too long to fit in the narrow space between the pulley and the body work and needs to be cut down, but I don't know. Most of us borrow the tool from another 964 or 993 owner for our emergency, and then purchase from pelican or sunset. IIRC, the tool came in the 964 tool wrap, but not in the 993. Sunset had it in stock when I purchased. Don't know if local dealers stock it.
I ended up buying a 10mm bit, as my tool kit didn't come with the triple square--apparently this was included on '96+ toolkits (the tool in mine that looks like it would be the triple square is only a flat head).

As others have said, this is a pretty easy DIY--I spent more time fishing out a shim that fell than I did doing anything else on this project.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 276 Posts

"Porsche belt Part number 999 192 338 50 has dimesions 9.5x766mm"
Uhhhhh.....p/n check on Aisle 7. Shouldn't that be 9.5x776mm?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
"Porsche belt Part number 999 192 338 50 has dimesions 9.5x766mm"
Uhhhhh.....p/n check on Aisle 7. Shouldn't that be 9.5x776mm?
Part Check on aisle 7 is correct. Good catch. Fat fingers and fast typing don't mix well.

I meant 9.5x776, that's two 7's and one 6, not one 7 and two 6's.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...5x%37%37%36%20
Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Just replaced the fan belt and alternator belt. Followed P-car.com and all your advice. Thanks guys!!!

One problem, I can't seem to get the A/C belt back on properly. After I put the new A/C belt on, I can't seem to align the A/C compressor back to the original position in order to tighten all the bolts. Any tips and tricks?

I can live w/o A/C for now.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recall I had to unbolt the compressor to get the belt back one, but then I was able to bolt her back down. Did you use the right Porsche belt?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

I am replacing all the belts with OEM Porsche belts. Is your compressor sitting in the middle of the mounting hole (as you can slide it left and right to adjust)? When I initially unbolted it (was in middle), I slid it to left (towards center of car) to remove the A/C belt. Now I am trying to do the reverse to re-install the new belt.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was saying on mine I actually removed 2 or 3 of the bolts comletely to get the new belt on.

Quick Reply: Help! Broken Belt...