Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had the car two weeks... It's Time to start down the slope. Time for a Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the car two weeks... It's Time to start down the slope. Time for a Short Shifter

Had my 993 two weeks and one of the issues the PPI tech told me would need to be fixed soon has reared it's ugly head already. I was hoping to get a month or two before having to start down the slope.

PPI Tech said my shift linkage cups/bushings were shot and will fail soon. He was right I believe they have failed. I have only 3rd & 4th gear right now and can move my shifter around the entire perimeter of the shift boot and it feels like there is no connection at all. Got the car home using 3rd and 4th lucky it was late at night and stopping was minimal.

Anyhow, long ago I adopted the policy that many aftermarket parts for cars are better than OE parts, why replace with the same part, set yourself up for potential failure later when you can upgrade for slightly more $$$, and sometimes even less $$$.

I have been searching around for a short shift kit that addresses my issue. I have always liked B&M shifters but I cannot seem to find one for the 993. The search engine here has netted a few results for others but a whole bunch of extra crap to wade through as well. I also don't know what shift kits are best for the 993 since this is my first P-Car. So I ask the wisdom of RL again.
I have no plans to track the car and am looking for a solid short shifter in the $300 or less range. I need to stay under $500 installed, so can spend a bit more on parts if I can find someone with a lift to help me install it opposed to taking it to a shop. I have association rules where I live that will not allow me to work on my car here.

Thanks for any ideas,

Nick
Old 07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try these guys. (Darin and Mark) I installed their ssk and golden rod and am very pleased.

The install is pretty easy if you have a floor jack and 4 jack stands and some pretty basic tools.

Good Luck.

Bob-

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page2027.htm
Old 07-12-2009, 04:43 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you lost the front part of your linkage. If so, the golden rod kit sounds perfect.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 574 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Try these guys. (Darin and Mark) I installed their ssk and golden rod and am very pleased.

The install is pretty easy if you have a floor jack and 4 jack stands and some pretty basic tools.

Good Luck.

Bob-

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page2027.htm
+1, their kit uses the oem RS parts w/ a modified rod.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:36 PM
mike993c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Fister-DiPietro Short Shift Kit It should take care of your problem. Get the Golden rod to complete the package if you like.

Quick Reply: Had the car two weeks... It's Time to start down the slope. Time for a Short Shifter