Sponsored by:

'97 993 TT Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM
4ZKRVS
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 993 TT Wheel Bearings

While making a hard left (90 degree) turn I am hearing a noise that could be a wheel bearing noise. I have only heard it twice - both times on the same curve, and it goes away as soon as I straighten out. If it is a wheel bearing, should I just have both of them replaced? The car has just over 100,000 miles.
Thanks.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:13 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I just had my rear left wheel bearing replaced. It sounds like, whopping noise, a tire out of balance without the "shudder." My car has 85K miles. Its a know problem as the weight distribution of the car is hard on rear wheel bearings.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it on level ground, engine off, in neutral, and push it. You could hear my bearing grinding once the engine was off.

I too had the same noise on cornering, but since I was at the track assumed it was due to build up on the tires. It wasn't until I hit the pits, had the car off, and wanted to move it while it was cooling down did I push it and hear the noise, which was much worse than just brake pads dragging over a rotor.

With the engine on, I wouldn't have heard a thing.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

your problem sounds like it may be CV joint related.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How about a right turn of the same speed/radius?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wheel bearings most often outlast the car .... so, if it is a bearing, I would only replace the one side that is failing - not both.

The double cage sealed bearings used in the hubs can make all sorts of ugly noises , generally long before the bearing fails - so one can often drive many miles before replacement is necessary: recently, we had such a bearing howling away in our Passat , but when I put it in gear on a lift, couldn't verify whether it was the RF or LF wheel ..... so drove it for another month until it got really bad, and eliminated all doubt ( my mechanic friends advice was to drive it until the radio couldn't drown out the noise .... and that's not far from the truth).

To pin it down to a bearing, pull the car up to the speed where the noise is obvious when driving in a straight path, then steer slightly left or right to load the bearing races: if that kills the noise, it is a bearing.

If the noise is only present when turning, it is perhaps more likely the CV joint as was mentiones .... almost the opposite effect.

With an aggressive exhaust note, get to speed and slip it into neutral and drop the engine to idle - you might hear more.

Quick Reply: '97 993 TT Wheel Bearings