Sponsored by:

"broken" Pss9 shock

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:44 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default "broken" Pss9 shock

right rear shock adjustment dial turns endlessly. bilstein suggests sending unit back to them for evaluation and repair. That's great, but what to do in the interim? it's been suggested that I replace "broken" shock with new and then send broken unit to Bilstein. they will remiburse/trade as necessary. So far, I have been unable to find anyone intersted and willing to sell just right rear shock/spring component of PSS9 systeml. Anyone have a suggestion other than taking the car out of commission for the mohth or longer it would take to remove the part, ship it to Bilstein and wait for repair/replacement?

Thanks, Greg
Old 07-07-2009, 11:50 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

I just sent one into them myself.... Give them a call, i think thier standard turnaround is only a couple of weeks..... I think for an extra fee they offer rush service too.... so may not be as bad as you think....

Ive dealt with them several times in the past, and have been VERY impressed with their customer service.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:51 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Before you spend $$$....

Some of mine do the same thing, but still do adjust. You just can't find where 0 and 9 are since there are no "stops" at the ends. So, they aren't "broken" per say, just hard to adjust. I tend to use a "bounce" test on the fender to see/feel the rebound of the shock(very imprecise, yes I know....) and just tweak the **** until I think it is where I want it. (I've still got a stop on one end at least, so I count clicks from there).

I've spoken with the guys at Bilstein (they're just up the road here in Poway) and they suggested trying to tighten the ***** a bit. Also, there was some mention of a stop pin that might be broken....

They work a bit better after I loosened the ***** (index them BEFORE this with a pen or scratch a mark on the **** & shaft-end in case they fall off) and pushed them further onto the shaft. I think its is a 1.5mm Allen wrench. After this, I got a little better click feel which helped with adjustment. I haven't had a chance to investigate more fully the stop pin thing, which is what you are experiencing.

For the $$$, I haven't been motivated to fully fix it yet.... I'm saving that for when I do bushings, rear control arms, etc that will require a new alignment ($600 or so), so I don't have multiple alignment expenses.

Quick Reply: "broken" Pss9 shock