Sponsored by:

brake bais - how to adjust

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 06:41 PM
BDHo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake bais - how to adjust

Im wearing my front brake pads much quicker than my rear pads- fronts are 50% gone and rears look new. Car is a 993turbo for street with a few track days. Pads are pagid yellows rs-19
Is this normal? Can i adjust this some way to wear evenly?

also, the squeal was manageable at first on the street. Now the squeal can be heard for 20 blocks ... is there a way to reduce the squeal just a bit so its liveable.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:09 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't help with how to adjust the bias but if I may I think the engineers are not concerned about even brake pad wear, it's about even balance in stopping. The forward weight transfer on braking means the fronts do most of the work - which is why front brakes are usually bigger than the back. If you change the bias more toward the back the ABS will be kicking in there all the time. Race cars frequently have a provision to change the bias but they usually don't use ABS either. I guess this is a long winded way to say just expect your front pads to wear out first.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:19 PM
cmoss

^^ and try oem pads for the street, and swap them out for the track.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHo
Im wearing my front brake pads much quicker than my rear pads- fronts are 50% gone and rears look new. Car is a 993turbo for street with a few track days. Pads are pagid yellows rs-19

also, the squeal was manageable at first on the street. Now the squeal can be heard for 20 blocks ... is there a way to reduce the squeal just a bit so its liveable.
Hi,

These cars have a lot of front brake bias, by design.

Its good for the regular, modestly-skilled individual but a liability for a very experienced track driver who can handle more rear brake bias. One alters this by either using rear pads with more bite (RS-14) or installing RS rear brake calipers (best option).

Noise is what race pads are about,.... They are formulated for consistent friction across a wide, but high temperature range and anti-noise compounds are not used in race pads as they melt at lower temps.

My best advice is the as Cmoss offered: use OEM pads for the street and race pads for the track because their use is mutually exclusive for each venue.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 07-07-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHo

As Steve said 992tt bias is hugely front, you can use 993RS rear calipers but you also want a lower, stiffer car w/ a very effective lsd to do so.

You can use Pagid black rears for more bite in back

to keep squeel down keep the brakes clean flush them regularly but never store them wet, always dry throoughly.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Duckman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about our 993s but in my old 968 there was a proportioning valve that controlled the relative about of stop front-to-rear. A lot of 968 owners changed the valve because many felt the stock set-up was biased too far forward.

So, 993 guys, is there a proportioning valve in our cars, too?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Duckman
I'm not sure about our 993s but in my old 968 there was a proportioning valve that controlled the relative about of stop front-to-rear. A lot of 968 owners changed the valve because many felt the stock set-up was biased too far forward.

So, 993 guys, is there a proportioning valve in our cars, too?
a 993 has either 1 or 2 p/v depending on the option package. w/ M220(lsd/abd) there are 2 p/v's & 4 channel abs. w/o there is only 1 & 3 channel abs

a 993tt is speced for 55bar p/v stock, the only less effective from porsche is the 60bar used on the 964t.

a p/v only works when line pressure exceeds the spec, for tt 55bar, you could probably remove it totally from a tt and not notice any difference

Quick Reply: brake bais - how to adjust