993 Forum 1995-1998

CCU connectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:54 AM
gr8nine93
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCU connectors

I have been reading the threads of the CCU for HOURS and have started to remove the CCU from the dash. Details at p-car workshop. Instructions regarding connectors are "There are 2 electrical connections on the back of the CCU. I took a picture to give you an idea how they disconnect. They swivel lock into place. Take your time and look at the mechanism. Once you understand it, they are easy to remove." Could someone be a little more specific? HOw can a 32? pin connnector "Swivel" into place.
Also is it "normal" for the little fan on the CCU to run even without ignition on? Mine does.
Just a little advice. When removing CCU the nails should only go in aboiut 1.5 inches. ANymore just jams the CCU into place. Thanks for the
Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

The connectors on the back of the CCU have a hook on one end and a latch on the other. Undo the latch, and swing that end of the connector out until the pins disengage, then you can unhook the other end. The two connectors each have the hook at the opposite end from one another.

The fan is to draw air into the cabin air temperature sensor. I think it is normal for it to run sometimes with the key off. While the CCU is out is a good time to clean the dust off this little fan.

It is also a good idea to flush out all the switches, pushbuttons, and slides on the CCU with electrical contact cleaner (choose one that is safe for plastics) and exercise these controls while flushing. They seem to get a little dodgy over time, maybe from dust/dirt in the control contacts.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bobby "nailed it"

hey, if you are still working on it in a week or so I will be in Bend and can help
Old 07-06-2009, 02:45 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

Default Speedster

I had an Intermechannica with a 2180, leather. Now back to the garage.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

It is also a good idea to flush out all the switches, pushbuttons, and slides on the CCU with electrical contact cleaner (choose one that is safe for plastics)
Getting a cleaner that is safe for plastics is important as not all are. I found out the hard way when the cleaner I used on my MBZ window switches dissolved the switch labels off the plastic.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gr8nine93
I had an Intermechannica with a 2180, leather. Now back to the garage.
Nice!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
gr8nine93
Instructor

QUESTION is whether it is now NORMAL. Got CCU out. The connector swivels out vertically --can you tell I was a tech writer once? The I flushed all the switches and applied dielectic grease. I also noticed that a vacuum line under the dash was disconnected but that might have happened as I pushed out the CCU. What it does now on BIG SNOWflake is it blows hard and cold for a about 20 secs and then pulls back to maybe 40% of what it did initially. On Small snowflake it blows more on my feet but it seems to respond to the fan settings unlike the large snowflake which does everything automatically. I can't imagine that the way it operates would keep the car cool in 100F + degrees but we shall see.

Quick Reply: CCU connectors