Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random question #1: Check engine light cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a cel on my DD (Accura SUV) and it turns out someone stole my gas cap while I was in my parking garage at work $26... my manual said it would take at least 3 rides with the cap securely on to get the light to reset... it actually took more like 10...
Old 07-02-2009, 12:04 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor
Cabrio: If one were to take off the filler cap and start the car, would that automatically trigger a CEL? and would it disappear after putting on the cap?
Yes, may not be immediate, but it will trigger a CEL due to wrong pressure readings in the gas tank that indicates a gas vapor leak.

It may take a few driving cycles for the CEL to go out automatically after a dozen or so starts or you could always clear the CEL with an ODB scanner.

A lose gas cap is one of the leading causes of CELs. Make sure that you hear it click 2-3 times when you tighten it close.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:08 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

FWIW the much dreaded CEL came on 10 days after getting my 97 last fall (70000miles). Cleared the codes and all was good until the exact day I went to get AirCared (our local emissions test, every two years for this car). Got the codes cleared again and passed the test. Since then it has come on one more time and I had them cleared again. The advice I keep getting is to drive it hard. You know what? It seems to work. Each time the light has come on was after prolonged city use........lots of stop & go and very little WOT. In the last month I've put close to 1500 miles of fairly spirited miles on it and it runs better than ever (currently 76000ish miles). Very unscientific but take from it what you will. And, like trying for a baby, it may not work but it's sure fun trying!
Old 07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Yes, may not be immediate, but it will trigger a CEL due to wrong pressure readings in the gas tank that indicates a gas vapor leak.

It may take a few driving cycles for the CEL to go out automatically after a dozen or so starts or you could always clear the CEL with an ODB scanner.

A lose gas cap is one of the leading causes of CELs. Make sure that you hear it click 2-3 times when you tighten it close.
+1
and keep in mind the o-ring gasket on the cap can also fail after many years. You can get a replacement cap or the o-ring itself if you look at your local auto parts store for a cheapo cap that has a similar seal.

Quick Reply: Random question #1: Check engine light cost