OT: Family vacation in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big Island!

Originally Posted by k722070
we're Big Island fans because of the relatively smaller crowds and less traffic than Oahu or Maui. so I'll add my Big Island info.

check into renting a beach house in the Keauhou area, tons available and prices are getting cheaper every month. houses available all over, but along the Kohala coast more golf course type condos. with a kitchen your cost of vacationing goes down dramatically. grocery shop at KTA when you can, Safeway is priced for tourists. eat the beef, the cattle is raised right there so its cheap.

there's not much you can do about the vog from the volcano except avoid it. it will blanket all the beach area along Alii drive from 1pm to sunset. north of the airport will stay clear. but seeing the volcano spewing into the sea is amazing and makes living with the vog trivial. you can stay in Waimea and actually need a sweater in the evenings, so you won't have to live with airconditioning every night. you'll only be a 20 minute drive to amazing beaches, (Anaehoomalu) A bay and 69 are spectacular. august is big game fishing month on the big island, for 400 bucks you can take a chance on getting a marlin strike.

10 days isn't enough, you'll need 2 weeks of snorkling and surfing at Kahaluu, another week in Waimea for Kohala coast beaching and golf, at least one night in volcano village (make reservations early) and maybe a day in hilo and the east coast.
+1 on the Big Island, especially if your're looking for a DEAL. I've now bought 3 package deals from Expedia, so I'm a convert. I was just there in May. For me, the crowds of Oahu and Maui were out. I've heard that Maui is like Newport Beach, and I've got that right here. I would even love to try the more rustic and slower paced Kauai and Molokai, but they just don't have the large properties with unsold inventory (great deals) like Hawaii does.

You can see that all of the best places are on the Kohala Coast on the greater "Kona side." If you can find an Expedia (for example) deal at any of the top 10 or so, you'll be stoked. Mauna Lani Bay seems to be the spot. Hapuna Beach Prince (where I stayed last-minute) was #8. Said to literally have the "best beach in the U.S." I may agree with that!!! Both were top 2009 picks: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2...ii-Hotels.html

Yes- be sure to get your groceries (booze and at least breakfast food) first. There's a reasonable grocery store in Waimea, (+1!!) a very charming village in its own right, as mentioned above. Had great barbeque (including the local beef) at a place called Huli Sue's. Wanted to try Cafe Bamboo in Kaiwahae, but never made it there.

Yes, you won't need much time in Hilo, but Rainbow Falls are right there, so you might as well stop in for lunch (Cafe 100 moco loco?) and the farmer's market.

BTW- Big Island is where the volcanoes are!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to vote for Maui, 7 - 10 days is about the right amount of time. We have stayed in the same condo for the last several years and I definitley think that is the way to go. There is nothing better than hearing the surf at night, waking up in the morning, getting your juice walking 30ft across the lanai and grass and being watching the turtles play. Being able to snorkel and swim right in front of the property is great. We enjoy sunset dinners on the patio on our own schedule and have no problem cooking in a fully equipped kitchen as opposed to going out. Having your own washer/dryer means packing alot less clothes, wifi is readily available, most private condos have beach chairs, snorkeling gear, boogie boards, you don't have to bring much. Costco is next to the airport, Safeway is on the way.
Check out http://greatmauioceanfront.com/ and see if something like what will work for you. (or others are available in the same small complex, this owner is great to work with)
Or the resorts are great in this area also as stated in other posts.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Mike M.
Instructor

10 days? I would def recommend at least 2 islands, especially if it's your first visit. As some have previously said, Maui is a great island to start with for the right blend of enough to do, and venturing off the beaten path if needed. I will concur that the Westin in Kaanapali is nice as well, and the villas where the old airport used to be is great, too (highly recommend the condo/villa option if you want to have your own kitchenette, fridge, for the kids' snacks/drinks, etc.). Nonetheless, I will say each island does have it's own flavor. No offense to some here (I'm Caucasian and Asian mixed, btw), but you may find that Maui, esp. on the west side tends to be more Caucasian populated, i.e more touristy feel (same may be said for Kona side, Big Island), whereas Kauai will have more of the local/islander populus. Oahu will be pretty mixed (bigger job market there, and more urban than any island).

Maui for 3-4 days, Kauai for 2-3 (Poipu side is typically drier than Princeville side), and maybe finish off in Oahu to fly back out (can check out some of the spots, including North Shore, too). For souvenirs, Walmart, Sam's Club or Costco are great, as the duty free stores and ABC's will have a bit of markup.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 AM
AGC
Racer

Thanks everyone for your input, can't believe that we'll be going to Hawaii (wife and I always wanted to go)

Anyway, I think we decided that for our first trip with the kids we are going to Oahu (Marriot or Sheraton at Waikiki Beach) because there is a zoo, beach, aquarium, stores, etc.. My wife also thinks that being in Oahu will allow us to have more of an option on what to do and where to go. What are your thoughts on our plan and between the two hotels which would you choose (any experience with either)..

From a cost perspective, it is also cheaper to go to Oahu than any of the other islands (especially Maui, which was our original target)

Thanks again
Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

We go to Maui annually and rent a condo via VRBO.com--go to costo load up and walk to the beach in Napili. It is very light on the wallet and works well with young kids. I would not reccomend it for first time visitors but you may want to consider it if you love the islands like we do. With that much time you should look for some local rentals while you are there for the next trip. There is nothing better than a condo/home there and a rental car. Enjoy your trip.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AGC
Anyway, I think we decided that for our first trip with the kids we are going to Oahu (Marriot or Sheraton at Waikiki Beach) because there is a zoo, beach, aquarium, stores, etc.. My wife also thinks that being in Oahu will allow us to have more of an option on what to do and where to go. What are your thoughts on our plan and between the two hotels which would you choose (any experience with either)..
About 10 years ago I stayed at the Ala Moana Hotel in Waikiki on company business. It was expensive and very nice, had a shopping mall downstairs. However, I didn't like Waikiki at all. Busy, urban, congested, not a great place to walk around. For example, a palm reader's shop stands out in my mind. Not at all the idyllic island getaway you may be dreaming of.

Maybe there are hotels on the North Shore or somewhere else that someone can recommend...
Old 07-01-2009, 01:30 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think anywhere you go, you will enjoy it.

My preference is Maui because I like the vibe of the Island.

I got back from Europe a few weeks ago and was in 3 countries in 9 days. 7-10 days anywhere is way too long for me so I would definately have to mix things up or I would go nuts. We are taking a 7 day trip to Cancun in November but I venture everywhere I go--renting a car and go eat taco's and smoked fish in towns with dirt roads.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:22 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

AGC, Have fun you'll enjoy it. Check out Hanauma Bay it's known for it's great snorkling. I grow up in Hawaii Kai the town right before you go up the Hill to Hanauma Bay.

AHHHloha!
Attached Images   
Old 07-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on The Big Island for 2 weeks last September and it was great. I rented a Cessna 172 from the Hawaii Flight Academy as I have a PPL and circled the whole island. Just seeing Kilauea from the air made the trip. There are more "fun" things to do on Maui but I love the natural ruggedness that only the Big Island can offer. You can see a skylight in the last photo as magma races towards the ocean in a lava tube underneath the surface, there was no surface lava flow while I was there. First photo shows the lava entering the ocean creating a large plume of water vapor and sulphur dioxide.
Attached Images      
Old 07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
AGC, Have fun you'll enjoy it. Check out Hanauma Bay it's known for it's great snorkling. I grow up in Hawaii Kai the town right before you go up the Hill to Hanauma Bay.

AHHHloha!
Scott,

Hanauma is soooo different now, you have to watch a video to get in, it is $1 to park and $5 for admission (adults) plus they blocked off the path out to the Toilet Bowl (no, not a lavatory for you Haoles), but a lava formation...
Still some of the best snorkeling around though.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Mike M.
Instructor

Originally Posted by AGC
Thanks everyone for your input, can't believe that we'll be going to Hawaii (wife and I always wanted to go)

From a cost perspective, it is also cheaper to go to Oahu than any of the other islands (especially Maui, which was our original target)

Thanks again
For the kids, my vote would go to the Sheraton in Waikiki, the one that they typically use for conventions. They just opened Waikiki's first superpool (with a couple slides, etc.), and our lil' guy had a blast in it. It's also very convenient location wise to the main drag Kalakaua, and not too far from Lewers for eats and shopping (Lewers has dramatically changed since Trump set up shop there with that condo project). The Sheraton I'm talking about is right next to the Pink hotel, the Royal Hawaiian. If you have Starwood membership, it's even more of a bonus.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68

Maybe there are hotels on the North Shore or somewhere else that someone can recommend...
Turtle Bay is the only resort on the North Shore, but there are homes for rent.

Despite the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, Oahu is still a great place to visit, especially for the first time visitor, in 30 minutes you can be far enough away to escape the crowds and get to more secluded areas. I wouldn't count out coming to Oahu.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
got*ki
Racer

Originally Posted by AGC

Thanks again
Sheraton should be right on the beach. I believe that the Marriot (if it is FKA The Prince Kuhio) is one street in and off of the beach. Between the two I would opt for the Sheraton, although, the price would reflect its beachside location. Don't get me wrong though, the Marriot is only a stone's throw away/ like 1 minute walk from the beach. Sheraton is smack dab in the middle of Waikiki. Marriot is on one end of Waikiki and closer to the Zoo and Aquarium. The distance between the two hotels is about 5 minutes max.

Add to your list of activities: Bishop Museum, Dole Pineapple Plantation, Matsumoto Shave Ice, Waikele Outlet Stores, Ala Moana Beach and Ala Moana Shopping Ctr., hike up Diamond Head Crater or Aiea Loop Trail, Honolulu Academy of Arts, and last but not least, take a drive around the island.....and last last last but not least, spend as much $$ as you can to stimulate Hawaii's tourist economy.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:06 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
Scott,

Hanauma is soooo different now, you have to watch a video to get in, it is $1 to park and $5 for admission (adults) plus they blocked off the path out to the Toilet Bowl (no, not a lavatory for you Haoles), but a lava formation...
Still some of the best snorkeling around though.
I kind of knew they were doing some big changes there. It got so touristee that the reefs were getting torn up. I heard they even closed the bay for period of time. Not sure if they really did or not. I remember going there alot as a kid. Back in Da-day.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Maui now with my family and we are staying at a condo in Kayaha which is a nice area. We have been to Oahu a few years ago too. You will need a car in Maui but not in Oahu. Oahu is better in some ways because there seemed to be more live music (free), movies on the beach, public performances, etc. If you want something quieter and have small kids you might like Maui better. We've been to many nice beaches here. There seems to be more wildlife as we've seen seals and turtles right from our beach. The winter whale season must be awesome.

Quick Reply: OT: Family vacation in Hawaii