Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abd, abs and battery light went on..what next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009 | 10:57 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

Default abd, abs and battery light went on..what next?

Yesterday driving home, both the green and orange ABD lights went on along with the battery and ABS lights. This was accompanied a smell of burning rubber from the engine.....was it a coincidence that I just changed my battery last weekend? Could the burning smell be the alternator belt? Today I drove it again and the lights were still on, but the smell was gone.....Any advice deeply appreciated!
Old 06-29-2009 | 11:29 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Start with the basics .... check the connections at the battery and the condition and tension on the alternator & fan belts. Also verify that the plastic wheel of the fan belt "tension" sensor is intact and spinning freely.

If the dash lights remain on, and belts are OK, then the alternator may have a seized ( or seizing) bearing, causing a pulley drag on the belts. Regardless, with the dash lit up, it is likely the alternator is not charging ( provided battery connections are tight) .... and the battery will soon die. Very easy to check with a multimeter -new battery should be ~ 12.6v, and ~13.8v with alternator operating.

Quick Reply: abd, abs and battery light went on..what next?