Sponsored by: DashLynx

Horn blowing under breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Pablo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn blowing under breaking

My horn is blowing under breaking. I realize this is a common problem and I need to replace the grommets that are most likely worn in the steering wheel. Problem 1, is one of my torx screws is stripped so I cannot remove the airbag! Any ideas on how to get the screw out?? Problem 2, is there a fuse I can pull that will disable the horn until I am able to remove the airbag? I cannot find a diagram for the fuses. Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck with the screw... no easy way around it. And it is in a tough spot.
You might try an allen wrench. Sometimes you can get away with an allen when it is not stripped. This may work since it will contact the screw head in different spots. Hopefully that makes sense.

There is a fuse. The list of fuses is in the lid of the fuse box cover.
IIRC, it is in the first row furthest from you when standing on passenger side so look in the low #s.

If you cannot fidn the # I can get it for you a bit later.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Pablo
Rennlist Member

Thanks..!
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a buddy that this just happened to. Turned out to be a short in the steering wheel to the horn. Braking forced the metal to contact and set off the horn. Good luck with the torx screw.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Shake
Instructor

Fuse #3
Old 06-26-2009, 02:33 PM
OCJoe
Intermediate

As an interim fix, i shimmed something in between the horn pad and the steering wheel. worked til i made the repair.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:48 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Lightbulb Try a "Screw Out"

Originally Posted by Pablo
My horn is blowing under breaking. I realize this is a common problem and I need to replace the grommets that are most likely worn in the steering wheel. Problem 1, is one of my torx screws is stripped so I cannot remove the airbag! Any ideas on how to get the screw out?? Problem 2, is there a fuse I can pull that will disable the horn until I am able to remove the airbag? I cannot find a diagram for the fuses. Thanks!!
I don't know the exact location of the torx screw (never took my streering wheel apart), but if it is pretty accessible, then a "Screw Out" might work.
I got the three piece set (Sm, Med, Lg) in a plastic case from Sears: Screw Out, Damaged Screw Removers, Model 52154.
Put the appropriate screw remover in your cordless drill, set to reverse and max torque.
Good luck
Old 06-26-2009, 02:49 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Just did this. I have an early build '95 (August '94) and the airbag saddle was "no longer available", so we cut the grommets out of a new one and hand pressed them into the old saddle. Just like new now. The day before, a car cut me off on the freeway and I honked, but the horn stuck.... not pretty ....
Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I suspect you could also just fill in the existing grommets with some silicone RTV, which would probably be flexible enough. Permatex gasket-maker silicone would be fine too.

Quick Reply: Horn blowing under breaking