Sponsored by:

OBDII Code Whisperer needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default OBDII Code Whisperer needed!!!

I took my 1996 P-car in for VA State Emissions Test. They no longer run the test (dyno) with a probe up the exhaust. They download the codes and give a Pass/Fail based on the data.

My car failed for the second time... I asked 'what was the code(s)' and the inspector would not, or could not tell me exactly what is out of spec. I think he only knows that the inspection test machine said 'Fail'.

I went home and put my Ease (generic) scan tool on and got this read out, P6191 MIL (Check Engine).

I Googled for this code and got nothing, I search rennlist/993 Forum and got no matches.

Can anybody shead some light on what this P6191 means?????

Many Thanks!!!!!!!!!

George
Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 AM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The highest OBDII fault code number that I can find listed in "Porsche 993...The Essential Companion" is P1693. Did you mean P1691? That is described as "Check Engine light" and is a type 2 failure which is "no signal". That is all the info given.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is your check engine light working? Does it light up momentarily when you turn the switch on?

I believe your code is 1691, not 6191 as the codes don't get into the 6K numbers.

I found this:

P1691 Check Engine Malfunction Indication Light (MIL) - Open Circuit

Which means that your CEL light bulb is either pulled out or the bulb is burnt.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check (no pun intended) that the Check Engine Light (CEL) goes ON when you turn the key to "ignition on but not to start". If the bulb is toast or someone has disconnected the bulb/short-circuited the bulb then you WILL fail, period.

If, when you turn the key to "ignition ON, but not to start", the CEL lights up then, so far so good.

If when you actually START the car the CEL stays on, you will FAIL.

If when you actually START the car, the CEL goes off, you can either FAIL *or* PASS depending on whether (or not) all of the 8 readiness monitors are set (or not).

There is also the very strong possibility, that he tried to do the OBD-ii test - when the car had the alarm/immobilizer ON. The DMV OBD-ii-reader (or any code/scanner reader for that matter) will NOT be able to 'talk' (communicate) with the car, when the immobilizer is ON.

Personally, I would 'get a second opinion' and find a friend with a good code scanner or, barring that, go to AutoZone and have them hook up their unit. A couple of bucks thrown the way of the high-school kid behind the counter will go a long way.

I would also go to the Virginia DMV site and do a boat-load of reading to see what your options are (if any).

Here in the state of New Yawk, we are in soapy bubble (Ocean's Eleven: "trouble") if you fail TWICE !

Good luck my friend.

Cordially,
Gerry
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

This Forum is the GREATEST!!!!!!!

A Huge Thanks to carbrio993 and g_murray to point me in the right direction.

I just pulled the gauge out to check the 'Check Engine' bulb. What did I find.....??? A piece of tape covering the hole where the bulb should be. The original owner/supercharger installer/TPC/someone (not me) pulled the damn bulb.

I will go to the Dealer tomorrow (Sat. morning) and get a new bulb and see if that clears the code and make everything happy, or if there are still other codes. At least I am closer to getting this squared away.

I did write the code down as what Ease Diagnostics scan tool showed. I will also use Durametrics scan tool also for comparison.

Here I thought all was working as it should.... THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 08:18 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, ye olde 'remove the bulb' routine strikes again!

Sounds like you have it squared away!

Let's hope, that upon installing a new bulb that the light *doesn't* stay on when you actually start the car. YIKES! In THAT case, the fact that you are THERE at the $tealership helps coz they can "diagnose" the problem/cause right there and, at least, let you know your options.

Again, good luck!

Cordially,
Gerry
Old 06-29-2009, 06:20 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome. Glad that it was just that. You should be ok after you put in the new bulb.

Quick Reply: OBDII Code Whisperer needed!!!