Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Maserati 3200GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Bora was fun to look at but it was way too heavy and the build quality was abysmal. As an example when I had the front end rebuilt they found one of the A arm pivots had not been machined out to accept the bushings so the factory geeks just forced the bushing in, cracking the A arm at the pivot. Remarkably it never broke but if it had it would have likely happened under load in a corner which could have been a BIG problem. I guess you could call that character and it was a fun car (when everything was working) but after a while it got a bit old - and that's from a guy who has owned an E-type for 20+ years, so my tolerance is pretty high.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,041 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
The Bora was fun to look at but it was way too heavy and the build quality was abysmal. As an example when I had the front end rebuilt they found one of the A arm pivots had not been machined out to accept the bushings so the factory geeks just forced the bushing in, cracking the A arm at the pivot. Remarkably it never broke but if it had it would have likely happened under load in a corner which could have been a BIG problem. I guess you could call that character and it was a fun car (when everything was working) but after a while it got a bit old - and that's from a guy who has owned an E-type for 20+ years, so my tolerance is pretty high.
Fair enough and I know what you mean with the E types. Was young and only cared about the fun factor when i drove it.

The Ghibli I drove was in Switzerland back in the 80's. Don't know if it ever made it here or not.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the pleasure of owning a Maserati 4200 GT Spyder for about 6 months. I loved the car until I took it to the track, it handled like a London double decker, despite suspension set up with more negative camber and Michelin PS Cup tires. Also the Spyder body is flexing way too much. In my opinion the pro's and cons are following:
Pro's:
*Motor sound and looks, awesome
*6 speed Getrag manual transmission
*Design of the car, draws a lot of attention
*Interior looks better than any Porsche
*Much more exotic than Porsche, you don't see one every day...
Cons:
*Handling on track (can be modified, $$$...)
*Italian build quality (like Ferrari...)
*Redicilously expensive to repair
*Engine air intake (filter) sits under the front bumper, drive through a 3-4" deep pond, and you will cease the engine. $50,000...
*Loss in value
*Gas mileage, no matter how carefully I drove, I couldn't get it above 17mpg...

Avoid the F1 gear shift and Sky Hook suspension. The F1 eats clutches ($8k) and the Sky Hook keeps the car in the shop rather than on the road.

I traded my Maserati with a 1995 Porsche 993 (RS clone), that is the best car deal I've ever done!!! Not as exotic, but a much, much better car!
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Maserati 3200GT