Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ISV observations for a '95 owner with a LWF...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

What I'm really curious about is why the car idled that low with a new ISV.

Also, have you checked for vacuum leaks? Steve said that should be teh very first thing to do when teh car is stalling (I haven't yet).
Old 06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Duckman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. I was just having this conversation with my mechanic. I asked about a LWF in my '95 next time we replace the clutch. He said great idea but "some guys" have experienced stalling. It sounds to me if it's very common on '95, rather than experienced by a relatively small percentage of cars.

Is that the general consensus? It’s a nice switch but be prepared to stall often?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a software fix available to fix LWF stalling for the 993. I'm can't really disclose how it was done as it took A LOT of research and testing over the years to come up with the solution. Suffice it to say it is a continuation of the techniques used for the past several years on the 3.2s and 964s that would exhibit the same problems when cams are installed or the rotational inertial of the motor is reduced by such mods.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duckman
Very interesting. I was just having this conversation with my mechanic. I asked about a LWF in my '95 next time we replace the clutch. He said great idea but "some guys" have experienced stalling. It sounds to me if it's very common on '95, rather than experienced by a relatively small percentage of cars.

Is that the general consensus? It’s a nice switch but be prepared to stall often?
Nearly 70 percent of those surveyed on this board with a 95's and the LWF experience stalling. To be exact, its 69.3 percent of owners experiencing stalling.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Duckman
Racer

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Nearly 70 percent of those surveyed on this board with a 95's and the LWF experience stalling. To be exact, its 69.3 percent of owners experiencing stalling.
Yeah, well, that seems to suggest it's likely I'd experience the same problem. I think I'll pass.

Besides, my clutch is in really good condition and I won't have to replace it for what I hope is a looooooooooooong time.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:04 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Steve W, do tell - what chip, how much?
Old 06-27-2009, 07:43 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nile13
What I'm really curious about is why the car idled that low with a new ISV.

Also, have you checked for vacuum leaks? Steve said that should be teh very first thing to do when teh car is stalling (I haven't yet).
My guess is that the DME had calibrated itself for the old isv (that had its idle bumped up) and the new unit's factory setting resulted in the low revs.

Next time my car goes to the shop a vacuum test will be a priority.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:37 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took a few years to get past the mental thoughts of not IF it was going to stall but WHEN it would stall.

"Is my car going to stall...is my car going to stall.....clutch in....ok above 3000 rpms push clutch in......or is is it 3500rpms....push clutch in....fast or slow....maybe its slow....push in slow or fast......****, I just pushed in at 2850rpms, is it gonna stall.....rev car a little........oh no, rpms dipping......red alert, red alert, turn stero down, examine dash.....ok, I made it 2 blocks from my house...no stalls, things are going goood.......next stoplight in 300 yards.....prepare self,.....here comes stoplight..........rewind....back to chapter 1, page 1...............Is my car going to stall...is my car going to stall..........clutch in..............."

As I mentioned before, my car hasnt stalled in months----probably longer than I previously stated but I dont think about it any more. I have adapted to the environment and behavorial change.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Steve W
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Steve W, do tell - what chip, how much?
Mike, it is our chip. One could stay with the stock programming with just the fix, or in conjunction with performance programming to really wake up the motor. It's best to email or call me with any further questions. steve@911chips.com

Quick Reply: New ISV observations for a '95 owner with a LWF...