993 Forum 1995-1998

993 oil temperature gauge fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:44 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 993c4ie
Can you read/access this thread http://forum.porsche-club-ireland.co...72844#msg72844 on Porsche Club Ireland forum?

if not, pm me your email adress and i'll send out photos..
I tried to join the Irish Porsche Club last weekend but no response. Could you please "replicate" the key content, instructions, leanings in rennlist in this posting?

Would be highly appreciated.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM
henrybr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e9stibi
Is the back plate just secured by the 4 screws? I removed them and even with sone prying, it appears to be attached somewhere else. Your guidance would be much appreciated.
It was a slightly stubborn fit, but mine wasn't secured with anything else. It eventually pulled off when approached from several different angles one by one.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:55 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by henrybr
It was a slightly stubborn fit, but mine wasn't secured with anything else. It eventually pulled off when approached from several different angles one by one.
Just to confirm that it was soldered on the 2 spots that already have been mentioned. After heating it up, I could pry the plate of.

It is maybe a good sign if it still sits tight because there are 4 metal pins that supply power to the two gauges in the instrument (ground and 12V from ignition for each gauge). This is an area for potential connectivity issues. The two pins that were soldered in my case are another potential week spot as they are in the connectivity path to the connections of the pressure sensor and the temp sensor.

I checked the path for all connections to the gauges and the circuit board did not show any broken links or solder joints. Maybe it was an issue with the mechanical connection of the 4 pins and/or to the sensors. I put it back together and now the gauge works again, let's see for how long ...

It is just great to see how this car is build. The gauges consist of electrical and mechanical components that can be disassembled and repaired. I remember my Audi TT in the late 90s that had an issues with the fuel gauge and it required replacement of the entire instrument cluster. I was lucky that it still was in warranty.

BTWy, still waiting for Porsche Club of Ireland to providing me access to their website. Maybe the Admin had too much beer or whiskey or both.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:23 AM
henrybr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting to hear. Perhaps mine has been dismantled before... I will take another look and check if there is any evidence of solder there from a past life, or even look at applying some.

By way of update, it seems to be functioning a whole lot better now. The car has had limited use, but got a 350 mile trip coming up this weekend, which should hopefully uncover any prevalent issues.

Quick Reply: 993 oil temperature gauge fluctuating