Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recognize this handiwork?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

No I am concerned about the SC install amoung many other things because amny things get moved, replaced and disconeected. But that's why it's going to a shop that installs these SC's for the PPI. The codes they pull will help point to possible problem areas both related to the SC install, age and all the other things we look for in course of buying a used p-car.

Of course, for the price I accept some things until I get it home and can address them. I got hosed on my 95C4 cab becasue of dealer malfeasance (they never paid the bank that underwrote their floorplan andsubsequently had their inventory siezed so I ended up suing for fraud. Won that one and am now dealing with their bank as to disposition of the car). The car has some issues but keep in mind that I am not looking at garage queens because if all you do is sit in the garage and look at it (i.e. my brother-in-law) then you are not enjoying it so this is actually a low-milage car for me. LOL

Here's a link to TPC's website on their SC for the 964/993 http://www.tpcracing.us/products/sup...arger_kit.html
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I would be much more concerned about what is obviously a sloppy, unprofessional supercharger install than I would be about codes, but you seem remarkably unconcerned about that.
I am not sure that his engine bay looks any worse than mine did when I first bought the car. If it were me, I would try to find out the number of miles that the car has been supercharged and the shop that did the install.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by craig001
Noah

Appearantly with the TPC SC kit, the coils need to be relocated on the 993. On the 964 they stay in orginal mounting location. The 993 kit includes a T shaped bracket for the coils so it looks like they relo'ed the coils to the latch panel.

Jeremy, I checked the TPC site, their intercooler kit sells for a shade under $4k. I can't recall if it included the UniQ. German Specialties recommended leaving things as they are if the PPI shows no codes before I get the car to MO. I have to get the car inspected for registration and plates. On 1996 on they plug into the OBDII and read the coded so as the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I was also told that there a several "adjustments" made to the car when installing the SC kit and anyone of these could throw a code. Florida is nice in that they don't check codes appearantly. Baby steps.
I upgraded to the new Uni-Q software and their slightly larger 6lb pulley. This was about $1,500, from what I remember. Due to the $4k pricetag, I did not elect to go with their liquid/air intercooler setup. I bought a used Spearco core and fabbed it up with a friend. Total cost for my interecooler was about $400.

FWIW, my car is dead even with my 507 E50 M5 from 80-140. The M5 pulls away after that. Also, on the track, it is faster that the 405hp z06's and almost as fast as the new 500hp model Z06's.

The car was definitely faster after the upgrades but is plenty fast with the early kit.

If you buy the car, keep it for a few months and enjoy it as is, before you upgrade it. I have the Excellence article on the car (my car actually ) that I can scan and email if anyone is interested.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Airsupply
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onefstm
I upgraded to the new Uni-Q software and their slightly larger 6lb pulley. This was about $1,500, from what I remember. Due to the $4k pricetag, I did not elect to go with their liquid/air intercooler setup. I bought a used Spearco core and fabbed it up with a friend. Total cost for my interecooler was about $400.

FWIW, my car is dead even with my 507 E50 M5 from 80-140. The M5 pulls away after that. Also, on the track, it is faster that the 405hp z06's and almost as fast as the new 500hp model Z06's.

The car was definitely faster after the upgrades but is plenty fast with the early kit.

If you buy the car, keep it for a few months and enjoy it as is, before you upgrade it. I have the Excellence article on the car (my car actually ) that I can scan and email if anyone is interested.

How much boost can you run before opening up the motor? Any idea on hp figures?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:29 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Airsupply
How much boost can you run before opening up the motor? Any idea on hp figures?
6lb's on the stock motor. Between 400-420hp.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Airsupply
7th Gear

Originally Posted by onefstm
6lb's on the stock motor. Between 400-420hp.
is that at the motor or to the tires?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

At the motor.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:18 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the TPC kit on my car, had Euroquipe in St. Charles, IL do the install after I matched the ports and cleaned up interior welds in the piping. My car, no inter-cooler, pigyback computer dyno'd 322 hp at the rear wheels.

The car has been trouble free 10+K miles and is a hoot to drive!!!!!!

Good Luck
Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
craig001
Drifting

Jeremy or Mr. Bock,

Do your cars have a boost gauge? If so, analog or digital, replaced the clock or somewhere ele?

Whoever did the install on the Targa replaced the clock with an analog boost gauge which has both German Specialties and myself wondering how the warning lights and related issues were handled.

The salesman called me yesterday to say he talked to the shop and was asked to check a couple of things before bringing the car in next week. So now I sit and wait. Hopefully the seller will not find out how much the car is really worth with the SC kit. In their ad they called it a Porsche SC, which we know Porsche did not offer.

I wish I was closer so I could expedite things, but that's life.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Denise993
Pro

The first pic is of my engine with the TPC supercharger as they installed it. The second pic shows a "cleaner" look after my mechanic yanked my engine to replace the clutch and put it all back together. The 825 hp is, of course a joke. My mechanic was being funny.
Attached Images   
Old 06-20-2009, 02:56 PM
craig001
Drifting

Denise, Nice! OBDI to boot. Any detonation issues, since you don't have an intercooler?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Denise993
Pro

Originally Posted by craig001
Denise, Nice! OBDI to boot. Any detonation issues, since you don't have an intercooler?
Nope ... and it's been on 27,000+ miles with no problems...
Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Shake
Instructor

I gotta say, on a '95, that would sure "clean up" the engine compartment, but it looks like you lose some of the Heating/Ventilation equipment.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jeremy,
Was your car featured in Excellence back in '01 or so? I still have that issue. Some of those photos helped convince me a 993 is really what I wanted.

Quick Reply: Anyone recognize this handiwork?