2-stroke leaf blowers - arguement against

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Adrienne, I have read some (admittedly, not a huge amount) on this. From what I understand, even with scrubbers in place, things are not very simple.

We can talk about the great efficiency loss. We can talk about emissions from burning coal. We can talk about environmental impact of diverting water for making hydro power. We can talk about nuclear plants. We can talk about possible impact of high power lines and electromagnetic field on people around them. We can talk about environmental impact of burying wires. There are a lot of variables. There also seem to be a great sprint to make laws that, to me, make little sense without much more research and understanding.

Reminds me of something. China, Mao, Cultural Revolution. Somebody came up with a great excuse for yet another low-yielding harvest - we've got sparrow eating up the grains. OK, let's kill all the sparrows. And they did, they killed them all. At which point the pests that sparrows were feeding on ate the grains to their heart's content, not having natural predators that used to control their population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sparrow_Campaign

Sounds semi-familiar to me.
So, we have established an endangered 2-stroke theory? Not sure I am seeing your point, as 2-strokes neither eat bugs nor fit anywhere in the web of life like a sparrow does. If you are suggesting that the policy led to deleterious and unforeseen environmental impacts, what you would see as deleterious environmental impacts by allowing 2-strokes to continue to spew pollutants into our air?

All of the variables you have listed are related to consumption. If we lower our consumption, ie not use a 2-stroke to dry our cars, then we have taken a step in the right direction to limit our consumption because of the deleterious side effects. Which is what I think the point is to this thread.

And with that, please know I am not making any sort of personal attack, just debating a point. I hope that has come across. Have a great weekend!!
Old 06-14-2009, 12:45 AM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Isn't noise a form of pollution?

I'm amused and dismayed that there hasn't been any mention of the of the
truly annoying noise aspect of leaf blowers. One poster did note a difference in noise level between 2 and 4 stroke versions but had no objection to the noise itself. Noise is simply not something that our culture takes seriously though some communities I think of as enlightened have banned the damn things. I know this is a dangerous area. Is it hypocrisy to decry that neighbor with his industrial strength dust displacer and ignore that lovely Porsche exhaust note? I feel there are meaningful differences between forms of noise but they are difficult to argue and I don't type very fast. I work with sound professionally. I make noise (unwanted sound) in a controlled environment, mindful of those who would be bothered by it. But my Fabspeeds do set off those moronic low threshold car alarms. (lots of low frequency energy there which is not subjectively loud)

I watched this one day from the window of my studio which located in an urban national park. Parks are relatively quiet, more restful places, right?

Two govt. gardeners with leaf blowers, each equipped with aircraft carrier style ear protectors and irridescent lime green safety vests, approach each other on a street from a distance of about 100 yds, each blowing his cloud of dust and detritus toward the other. The high pitched, penetrating whine of their "tools" make my work impossible even with the windows closed

The gardener on the right gets himself a balled up cigarette wrapper to push up the street. It skitters in fits and starts up the long incline. The right gardner stops at a point and leaves off to pursue to some other, more interesting, quarry. The left gardener continues, noisily and inexorably down the street in a cacaphonous swirl of dust and grass clippings. He encounters the offending cigarrete wrapper and proceeds to push it all the way down the hill to where the right gardener had started his advance. He shuts off his blower and walks away. The cigarrete wrapper remains where it started. The high powered mosquito like whine of his partner continues in the far distance.

R. Beggs
Old 06-14-2009, 01:58 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Adrienne, no worries, we are, indeed, debating, nothing personal on either side.

I was not talking about two-strokers. All of my comments relate to exchanging a gas mower for an electric one as Chuck described in the first post. Moreover, my comments are pointed towards the very fact that there is a sponsored program that pays for such an exchange.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:38 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeggs
Is it hypocrisy to decry that neighbor with his industrial strength dust displacer and ignore that lovely Porsche exhaust note?
Unless you stay in one place for 20-30 minutes and rev your Fabspeeds at 4K RPM, then no.

When I used to live in Culver City, for about six Saturdays in a row I was awakened at 6:00 a.m. by hired gardeners wielding 2-stroke leaf blowers. Surprisingly, I don't sleep wearing industrial grade ear protection. After about the sixth week, I walked outside in my bathrobe squinty-eyed, hair tousled (for maximum effect) and politely asked of they could work on that yard at any other time of day. They agreed.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:46 AM
J4yDubs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with Mike S. here. There's just not enough information to say if these programs (and switching to electric) are in fact helping. They may just be moving the problem elsewhere. It could in fact be causing other, bigger problems. We just don't know.

That's said, I don't use my 2-stroke trimmer/blower/edger to blow dry my shammy or car. That seems a little excessive.

As far as noise goes, I miss hearing them at motocross races. I will not be replacing my '87 Honda 250r ATV...

John
Old 06-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I want to hug a tree.... OMG...our cars get an average of 14 MPG and your worried about a 2 cycle leaf blower... ? Think about all of the aircraft flying, now thats bad, but we have to get around...
This world has much more to worry about at this time IMO...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by nsully
My 2 stroke blower died last year and I replaced it with a 4 stroke Makita.
Rationale was environmental, performance, and the "stink factor".
Couldn't be happier, and will continue to consider cleaner alternatives. No guilt whatsoever when I blast around the countryside in my 993 with no particular destination in mind. I've done my part - right? :-)
Neil

I thought the "stink factor" came from those '15s' by the front door?

Andreas
Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadeye
I'll give up my two stroke leaf blower when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
DAMN RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are we really discussing the use of a 2 stroke leaf blower and its effects on the environment?????

Hmmmmmmm.......
Old 06-15-2009, 05:54 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Didn't want to read 4 pages of this nonsense but still wanted to add my $.02 cents.

1. Drying with a leaf blower is a great idea
2. Have you thought of using an electric one?
3. PM me if you want to buy the one pictured.. I have it. however I replaced it with a smoke blowing Dolmar. Convenience & Speed out weigh Ozone any day of the week.

Oh yea and my new car will wake up the neighbors 3 blocks away and practically drips fossil fuel out the *** end. Again with the convenience and speed. However next to my Leaf Blower and Race Car in my garage sits a recycling bin.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

It would be great if the politics stayed in the appropriate forum. And from a purely rational point of view... if I hear one more person use an anomalously cool day as evidence against global warming, I may scream.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
Didn't want to read 4 pages of this nonsense but still wanted to add my $.02 cents.

1. Drying with a leaf blower is a great idea
2. Have you thought of using an electric one?
3. PM me if you want to buy the one pictured.. I have it. however I replaced it with a smoke blowing Dolmar. Convenience & Speed out weigh Ozone any day of the week.

Oh yea and my new car will wake up the neighbors 3 blocks away and practically drips fossil fuel out the *** end. Again with the convenience and speed. However next to my Leaf Blower and Race Car in my garage sits a recycling bin.
Sorry to be a geekmo, but is that the Toro Ultra 225? if so, I have one, too.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
It would be great if the politics stayed in the appropriate forum. And from a purely rational point of view... if I hear one more person use an anomalously cool day as evidence against global warming, I may scream.
I second that............If i hear one more Liberal use an anomalously hot couple of decades in the 4 billion year history of planetary weather patterns as evidence of man made global warming, I may scream.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 06-15-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
I second that............If i hear one more Liberal use and anomalously hot couple of decades in the 4 billion year history of planetary weather patterns as evidence of man made global warming, I may scream.
Agree that the cause of any climate changes hasn't been fully established. There is plenty of faulty logic and questionable data used on both (extreme) sides of the debate. If you were really seconding the motion, why would you mention anything political?
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Can I use the last 3 anomalously cold years that I've spent both here and in Europe as evidence? It's pretty nice to thin of global warming as you walk down the street at -30F in February.

Quick Reply: 2-stroke leaf blowers - arguement against