Sponsored by:

RS aerokit - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RS aerokit - what do you think?

File this one under "spending a fellow Rennlisters money"...

A little background. I bought my first 911 in 1998. It was a beautiful (except for the lack of roof) 1986 Targa. It had less than 20K miles, and I looked after it, and kept it original. After I sold it to buy a coupe, I thought about how silly the cult of originality/garage queens had been for me: no track, thus never learned how to drive properly. No mods, which in my case meant sloppy ride height, old shocks, substandard tires on small wheels, etc. etc.

Saved up for my current 993, bought a few years ago with 16K miles. This time, I am ENJOYING the car. Lot's of track, lot's of miles, and I am making it my own. So far I've fixed the suspension, I love the Supercups, and am looking forward to getting the GT3 seats and DAS bar installed this summer.

Thinking ahead to "the next":

In no particular order, TT/RS brakes, Fikse FM-10's, and a full OE RS aerokit.

I am planning on waiting a bit until a front end re-spray is necessary: front splitters, side skirts, and basic RS tail. Will delete the bumperettes while I am at it, and add ROW amber signals front and rear. For those that have bitten the bullet and spent the $$$ for the real OE RS parts, any regrets? Any advice? I am aware of the mounting tab issue on the side skirts, but besides that, are you happy with the results?

Cheers~!

Matt
Old 05-24-2009, 08:55 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Matt, were you at LCMT last week??

From my understanding, you are better off with original front splitter, MA shaw rear spoiler is nice fit and finish and will do the job. As for the side skirts, you have no other choice but to go with original RS parts.

Good luck!!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
avidtest
Racer

I just bought a new set of RS rocker panels (selling the old ones on eBay right now). In hindsight I probably should have just kept the old ones. i had a little bit of gap showing because of the broken tabs. However now with the new ones, i figure only a trained eye would notice any difference. I'm sure I'll end up breaking the new ones anyway.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Hi CWay27, I was not registered for the event, but stopped by on Monday for a look-see. Registered for the June, July, Aug and Calabogie Sept event though.
Let me know which you are attending and we can meet up!

The whole RS desire got it's start with the annoying noisy retractable spoiler. Was looking for an alterntive that looks "right", and seems like the non-CS RS parts will fill the bill nicely. Somewhat aggressive, functional, and not over the top.

While I'm at it, gives me a chance to delete the bumperettes and go for a cleaner look. I currently have clear turn signals installed by the PO (they were Euro pieces cut to fit) and the crooked finishing gap needs to go!

M
Old 05-25-2009, 11:19 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My advice, after going thru this process myself, is to buy OEM front splitters if possible, and buy an aftermarket fiberglass rear spoiler. Obviously you have no choice for the side skirts.

The aftermarket RS spoilers really are good; mine looked excellent (but I don't know who made it since I bought it used). So you can save some money here. I bought some aluminum flashing at home depot to act as an air deflector, so that air flows easily down into the engine bay.

My MA Shaw front splitters sucked as delivered. Not recommended. You might save a few dollars but don't forget to budget in some good files (coarse and fine), sandpaper, spot filler, and a fiberglass repair kit.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 05-26-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Safemoney
Racer

I had a great experience and would buy from MA Shaw again.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 382 Posts

If you don't have at least 8 & 10 x18 I'd do that first.

if you do the RS aero, factoory stuff is very nice

the difference between factory rear spoiler and aftermarket is in the intake well.

factory is finished, aftermarket will be wide open on the sides of the well

factory w/ finished well
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I have gone both ways on this (no jokes please). I started with aftermarket RS wing and splitters (BetterBodies) Wing was not bad, but the fiberglass splitters, not worth all the prep and paint, just to destroy them on the first curb you touch. After several combinations, I finally bought the full RS Aerokit from Gert Carnewal. I wish I had done that from the very outset. Some aftermarket wings are OK, but you should go with factory splitters and side skirts. Then, if you are like me, it will bug you that the only non-Porsche body part on your 993 is your wing. Even if you get a great deal on a fiberglass wing, you still have to spend the money for prep and paint (and prep can be substantial). Gert's price on the RS Aerokit is a great value to me, since he includes all the little parts and pieces to attach everything, which is really a pain to source on your own. Even at Sunset, I think the wing is $3K US dollars, with no mounting parts. For about $3700 US, you can get the wing, splitters and side skirts (and all the mounting hardware for each!). Plus, who knows how much longer the factory parts will be available. If you can possibly afford it, do it right from the start and get the factory aerokit, you will feel better about it and it has to mean something on the resale end when you can truly say "Factory RS Aerokit". Best of luck....Paul
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the advice - nothing beats the perspective of someone that's been there, done that.

PS - Bill nice wing!

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: RS aerokit - what do you think?