Sponsored by:

Modifications or No Modifications - Long Term View

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JPP
I've never bought a car for an investment. Not even my Speedster.

I think the ones to buy today are the well-maintained, higher mileage cars (70K+) with rare options like sports seats and those crazy-spendy burl-wood and aluminum packages for low 20K dollars. Heck, you could get two of those for the price of some low-mileage garage queen. How about a coupe and a cabriolet, one for winter, one for summer
That's a very interesting perspective and one that makes complete sense. I don't consider my 993 as an investment. However, part of the decision to choose this particular model when I bought it recently had to do with its retention of value over time but not its potential to appreciate. I think the cars that are likely to hold their value best and even possibly appreciate are of the type that you describe, along with the S models. Collectibility in almost any subject area whether it's stamps, old maps, books, or cars ultimately comes down to scarcity coupled with the desireability of that scarce item. There are things in this world may be rare but no one is interested. Ebay is full of them.

Tony
'97 white cab
Old 05-23-2009, 08:07 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And if history holds true (as with the 356) the Cabs will be worth more!
Old 05-23-2009, 09:18 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like cars with stock appearence. I'm not sure why it's the case, but I am programmed that way. I do have some backgroud with classic american cars, and that's probably a big part of it. The older the car is, the more I appreciate stock examples. Aftermerket wheels, in particular, I typically don't care for much. It has nothing to do with the value of the car for me, I just prefer the stock look.

However, I am not a purist and absolutely love re-makes of rare factory models if it is done true to the original. I'd love to do an 993 RS some day and I'm considering rebuilding my wife's 66 mustang convertible as a Shelby GT350 (only 6 made in 1966). I also love vintage race cars, which often have very little stock about them.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
+993

I don't know why people obsess over this kind of stuff. If you want to make an investment, buy bonds. If you want to increase the joy in your life by driving a fun sports car that's easy on the eyes, a 993 fits the bill quite nicely. If you keep your 993 under a cover in the garage, what's the point of owning it? And don't kid yourself into thinking that you're "preserving its value." We're talking about a car that isn't worth what a new Honda Accord costs. Spare us the melodrama. And if you drive it regularly (I drive mine as much as I possibly can) it will depreciate as it ages and wears. But so what? We're not talking about a $5 million Ferrari. It's a car that's barely worth $30K. Drive and enjoy. Death lasts a long time.
Noah, there's room in this world for both. I happen to be a split personality type that likes both show cars and go cars. As for bonds, they have their place but a well-chosen vehicle will do better...and give much more enjoyment. No offense but, as for a 993 being less valuable than a Honda Accord, maybe yours but not mine.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey grwoolf and NC Trackrat, this is a tad o.t., but, my dad was a Cadillac/Pontiac dealer and back in 1970 when I was 17, I bought a 67 Shelby 500 coupe off his used lot. I had been driving it for about a week when he asked me for a ride in it so we went to lunch. On the way back, I thought I'd show off a little, so I hit second a little hard which broke the rear loose and we ended up pointing in the opposite direction. After we got back to the shop and I peeled his hands off the door panel, he took the keys away and made me sell it.... probably for the best. Every so often, I think about that car and what it would be worth today if I had kept it and hadn't wrecked it or killed myself in it....
Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It really is hard to say what our cars will be worth in the future. Only time and demand will tell. I had every G.I. Joe action figure and every accessory that came with them. Jeeps, Amphicat snow suits etc... When I got older and didn't play with them I sold everything at a garage sale. Who knows how much money all that stuff would be worth. These were the big G.I. Joes not the little ones you get today. So back on point. Our cars will hold a certain level of desire because of what they are (Porsche and last of the air cooled) And as they say about convertibles if the top goes down the price goes up. I bought my car with no intention of resale, just for me. If it's worth more in 15 years and I still have it that will just be a good bonus. And Riviera Blue is a desirable color now, but in 15 years it may not be.

Mike
Old 05-24-2009, 12:08 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Arena993
So back on point. Our cars will hold a certain level of desire because of what they are (Porsche and last of the air cooled) And as they say about convertibles if the top goes down the price goes up. I bought my car with no intention of resale, just for me. If it's worth more in 15 years and I still have it that will just be a good bonus. And Riviera Blue is a desirable color now, but in 15 years it may not be.

Mike
Speaking of desirable. Where is that car of yours, anyhow? You've had it back for a week now... I've had the towels and lube out, ready for assembly pictures .... still waiting.... What? TMI???
Old 05-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Speaking of desirable. Where is that car of yours, anyhow? You've had it back for a week now...
+1

Can't wait to see final photos!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Arena993
Race Car

JPP:

Funny. As a matter of fact all that's left is the connection of the stereo (I ran the wires before I installed the new carpet) and installing the sport seats. I will have the car done next week for sure. I have been taking pictures. The new windshield is just awesome. So is the new carpet I can't believe how faded the old stuff was. I have to say I am pleased on how the car is coming together.

Mike
Old 05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Arena993
JPP:

Funny. As a matter of fact all that's left is the connection of the stereo (I ran the wires before I installed the new carpet) and installing the sport seats. I will have the car done next week for sure. I have been taking pictures. The new windshield is just awesome. So is the new carpet I can't believe how faded the old stuff was. I have to say I am pleased on how the car is coming together.

Mike
Ahhrg. You TEASER. I knew you were too busy (and too quiet). I can't believe you got it all done in that short of time! You're an animal, dude. I LOVE this color and can't wait to see all the color-keyed bling. I have it all pictured in my mind already, and I know the reality if gonna be just that much better..
Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Thanks JPP stay tuned it is almost there. I am ready for the car to be done as well. It has been a marathon week. I could not have done this without the help of fellow Rennlister Jhummel63. He has been down there almost as much as I have. I owe him a huge thanks. All this will be in my "finished" post.

Mike
Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wait 'til Mike sees the scratch from my Texas - sized belt buckle on the right front fender - he's going to be PISSED. Back to the paint shop and another two weeks.
I've got to say it has been very educational helping Mike with this project. He is doing a first class job in restoring this car. Mike knows these cars inside and out; his attention to detail is second to none. Every time I see his car then look at mine I want to send mine in for a full respray. I want to be like Mike! I appreciate his trust in letting me work around his freshly painted gem. I get into parts of the car that not everyone gets to see. He has been a big help in my learning about the 993.
It is amazing how much thought went in to designing and building these cars. German engineering - you can't beat it!
Pictures won't do this car justice but get them posted anyway.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:59 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey grwoolf and NC Trackrat, this is a tad o.t., but, my dad was a Cadillac/Pontiac dealer and back in 1970 when I was 17, I bought a 67 Shelby 500 coupe off his used lot. I had been driving it for about a week when he asked me for a ride in it so we went to lunch. On the way back, I thought I'd show off a little, so I hit second a little hard which broke the rear loose and we ended up pointing in the opposite direction. After we got back to the shop and I peeled his hands off the door panel, he took the keys away and made me sell it.... probably for the best. Every so often, I think about that car and what it would be worth today if I had kept it and hadn't wrecked it or killed myself in it....
'67 GT500 Coupe in good, solid #2 Condition=$150K-$175K. I bet you bought yours for around $5K. Make me cry...Do you remember?
Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
'67 GT500 Coupe in good, solid #2 Condition=$150K-$175K. I bet you bought yours for around $5K. Make me cry...Do you remember?
Yeah, I paid $3500 which was $500 over wholesale to cover my dad's clean-up/service costs and a couple of tires. The original owner traded it in. It had 19,000 miles on it, dark blue with black interior and virtually brand new. It was waaaayyy to fast for it's own (or my) good. Another thing is, it was a small community of towns in Northern Ca. and of all the cars I owned and sold there, and there were a few, I never saw this car again once it was gone. Never. I suspect my dad wholesaled it to some out-of-state dealer to get it off my radar....

Quick Reply: Modifications or No Modifications - Long Term View