Sponsored by:

Speedometer Face

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedometer Face

Folks, there is some kind of discoloration on the inside of my speedo glass/plastic. I took the unit out but can't see a way to open the "can" to get to the other side of the glass. Not a big deal but it is annoying. Does anyone know if this comes apart?
Old 05-23-2009, 03:43 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had to replace a broken odo-related gear last weekend so just did this.

You can get the bezel and glass off but you'll have to be willing to chew up the reverse-side of the bezel a bit to get it done. Or just replace the bezel. You won't see the damage since its on the reverse side, but just good to know in advance.

Put the unit face-down on a flat surface like your kitchen table with a towel to protect it and the front of the speedo. Hang the odo reset push pin over the edge of the table.

Take a very small screwdriver and carefully begin to pry the bezel away from the can. Go slowly and a little at a time working your way around the can. I found that using another screwdriver for leverage and a pivot point seems to help.

Eventually you can get the bezel off and clean the glass.

Once its all cleaned up just replace and carefully push the bezel edges back down against the can and your ready for reinstallation.

If you are willing to go this far you may want to consider replacing the gear involved with the odometer and trip odo. Only about $25 for one and $50 for both in there. A good "while your in there" thing to do. I'd suggest contacting Jeff over at sales@odometergears.com and he will literally walk you through the whole process (I have no affiliation). His website also has a write-up and some pix of how to the job.

A little more than you were asking for just for some foggy speedo glass eh? If your odo hasn't gone out its not a matter of "if" but "when".
Old 05-23-2009, 08:20 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

If you decide not to do it yourself, North Hollywood and Palo Alto Speedometer will disassemble and clean the lens for about $30 or so.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:12 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SKM
If you decide not to do it yourself, North Hollywood and Palo Alto Speedometer will disassemble and clean the lens for about $30 or so.

+1 for NHS. I've had them repair 50+ 964/993 clocks.....

Also, the speedo is the only instrument that does not not have a glass lens - it's plastic. NHS offers a glass replacement for this.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Speedometer Face