Sponsored by:

OT: California Title

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: California Title

I need some help. My son lives in California and asked me to sell his car, he is graduating from college and taking a job abroad. We have an offer on the car so he paid the car off and expected to get the title within 2 or 3 days. He was informed by the bank and DMV in California that it takes 4-6 weeks to process the clear title.
What gives? Is this true or is he being given the DMV/bank run around.
Is there any way to expedite this matter or do we just have to wait?
any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 05-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Normally the bank just signs off to release their interest on the title (pink slip) and returns it to the borrower. It does not have to be sent in to the DMV right away. I would ask them to sign a release of interest on a separate form and take that plus the bill of sale to the local AAA office to process. Execute a lost title document.

My knowledge may be out of date. i would call the AAA to verify. Avoid the DMV office at all costs, unless of course, you don't belong to AAA. Maybe the buyer does, in that case.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I previously bought a car with a lien by paying the bank directly and the cash difference given to the owner by the bank. The bank then gave me a title release which DMV progressed and mail me the title.

You might be able to get the bank to issue the release to the new owner even though your son paid the lien.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4-6 weeks is what they say, reality is much less time. Of all the times I paid off my car(s), I get the title in about 1-2 weeks. YMMV.

Quick Reply: OT: California Title