Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

carrera s door sills installed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ocean Blue, pm sent, his link is posted above. His name is Harvey. He prefers that you purchase thru ebay (protection reasons, etc.). I decided on "993" only. Ordered yesterday, shipping tomorrow am. So far, he is great.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
face-ache
Instructor

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Those look nice. So you just clean the ribbed rubber stock sills and just stick these right over the top ?
Yep, I used spray brake cleaner wipe dry, be carefull positioning though, that tape sticks like crazy.
angle the sill so that it slides in slightly at the bottom of the weather strip aprx 45 degrees , when lined up press down firm all the way along. plenty of clearance even stuck over top of the stock sills.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Great price and install easiness. I think I paid about $225 for my pair (OEM) and I took off the old rubber ones and scraped and scraped with a plastic putty knife till my hands were cut up and blistered! It took forever but they look nice.

You got a GREAT deal.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:48 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, did yours have the old two-sided tape to hold? My "Carrera 4" OEM's are starting to come off the tape appears to be dry rottedd and I was wondering if this a job for the dealer or not. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by scott watkins
Steve, did yours have the old two-sided tape to hold? My "Carrera 4" OEM's are starting to come off the tape appears to be dry rottedd and I was wondering if this a job for the dealer or not. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
I believe mine did have the tape on the back. That's too bad yours in coming up. Not sure how to help you though... maybe someone else will know. I guess you could pull them up, take off the old tape, insert 2 new pieces of double sided tape and then pat it back down.

Good luck,
Steve R
Old 05-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I guess you could pull them up, take off the old tape, insert 2 new pieces of double sided tape and then pat it back down.

Good luck,
Steve R
Yes. Just do this. I pulled up my OEM sills (black plastic), retaped and installed. Very easy. If the tape is tough use 3M adhesive remover and let it sit for 10 minutes. The sills will pull right off.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 12:24 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve/Mike, thanks!

Mike, where do you buy the adhesive remover? Also, is the replacement tape anything special?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scott watkins
Steve/Mike, thanks!

Mike, where do you buy the adhesive remover? Also, is the replacement tape anything special?
3M Adhesive Remover comes in both spray can and (qt) liquid can. The last time I bought it I found it at NAPA auto parts store.

Be forewarned, use it in a well ventilated space, it does smell (probably kills a few brain cells too). It (along with a plastic putty knife) is great for removing the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive used on door gaskets.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just installed a set of OEM SS sills and found that the adhesive remover made the job much worse, and much more messy.
After I quit trying to make the door frame completely adhesive residue free, the job went much faster.
I sincerely doubt that my installation is any less effective than those who are cleaning magicians.
BTW: How DO you guys manage to do these adhesive removal tasks (sills, carpet glue, cosmoline, etc) so well?
All I ever seem to be able to do is spread a worse mess of more sticky globs of gunk everywhere!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not sure I clearly understand this discussion. My plastic sills are not glued, they are helld by plastic snaps. Is theer something different in newer cars?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nile13:

You are talking about the carpet trim strips we are talking about the threshold plastic strip that sits in front of this when you get in the car. It's about 2 inches wide and black in color. It keeps your foot from sliding across the threshold.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Thanks for the tip and pics, Face-ache! Just ordered mine. It's always nice to find someone like that who starts a small business by supplying quality stuff at a reasonable price.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:38 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by face-ache
Someone was asking about "s" sills a while ago. Anyway, got these off the bay, was sceptical at first due to the cost only $45.00 plus shipping. I have to say the quality is top notch and fit perfect! I didn't bother to remove the stock sills, wipe with brake cleaner or whatever and stick em right on top. took 10 min and they are Stuck!
nice!
don't be afraid to brighten them up with a bit of paint!
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2009, 01:07 AM
jhubs
Racer

Originally Posted by ga993
I decided on "993" only. Ordered yesterday, shipping tomorrow am. So far, he is great.
ga993, I ordered mine today, too. Same as yours...just the "993". Looking forward to getting them. Post photos when you get them installed.

Thanks guys for the great resource as I have been looking for reasonably priced sills for over a year.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default got 'em on today

Decided to stick 'stock' look and get Carrera, just put them on today, over the stock rubber ones, first cleaned with brake cleaner, very carefully angled at about 45 to get inside under the seal and line up as closely as possible over top of the rubber ones, perfect fit, seems just fine for door clearance in general.

I discovered on the passenger door there's a bit of a rub (still my fault because of installing over the stock rubber sills instead of pulling out the rubber ones) but I'm going to use a grinding plane and try to smooth off a bit of the metal on the outer edge of that passenger door rear drainage hole (looks to be the inner edge of the hole) and touch up with the car touchup paint, worst case I'd have to pull everything off and then order another set from Harvey... (rub spot is the passenger door rear 'drain hole' where Porsche apparently created the holes from the inside of the door so there's metal pushed out and downward from the inside of the door, it's only that rear right door drain hole (that I can tell so far). I noticed what seemed like a little dirt on the passenger sill but it's actually light scratching.

Thanks for the tip face!
Attached Images   

Last edited by DB_NC_95C2; 05-29-2009 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: carrera s door sills installed.