Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by future
Hi Gent’s Part 2: Paint Fluid Cleaner I will post next week for those interested in our madness
very nice, thanks, 'specially for posting the photo's, BUT i'll never have cigarette celophane around my world.

cheers

Craig
Old 05-16-2009, 02:01 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I do the clay bar treatment about once a year. I'm curious how much I'm missing because I've never done the cellophane trick! Thanks for the info Mark!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 02:51 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-16-2009, 03:08 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m sure we all remember the crashed red one in the old 80’s movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off:
The good news is the car they used in the movie was a fake. You can tell the PETA people (People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles) that no Ferraris were harmed in the filming of the movie.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 AM
LJ993
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, if your offer is still open I'd love to try out your storied products. Thanks for the great post. Phil 96 993 Cab black on black on black
Old 05-16-2009, 04:07 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd be interested too in trying out the 'kit' -- my paint needs some serious work as well!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been a long term clay bar user ... but am unaware of effective fluid paint cleaners - so look forward to part II. Maybe the Porter-Cable orbital & foam pad combo will be unnecessary for spider/swirl tracks??
Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

PM sent, Mark. Thanks for a terrific opportunity to try out your products!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:55 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
The good news is the car they used in the movie was a fake. You can tell the PETA people (People for the Ethical Treatment of Automobiles) that no Ferraris were harmed in the filming of the movie.
I'm glad to hear that. I always wondered....
Sorry for the OT.
chuck
Old 05-16-2009, 10:15 PM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too.....
Old 05-17-2009, 12:57 AM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Count me in as well for a trial of the Swissvax products.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:05 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please count me in as well. I sent a PM with the address. Thanks for doing this for us!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Shaun Leahy
Advanced

Mark
the lack of swirls adds a lustre to the cars in the photos. If I could put my swirls on ebay I could make a fortune. I think one of your competitors' mud treatment works well for the "feel" of the paint finish but what are swirls? Love one of the kits if available (pm sen)

Cheers
Shaun
Old 05-17-2009, 03:27 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

This is a great post, thank you! I'm looking forward to the next installments!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 PM
LJ993
Instructor

Alright, Mark's thread got me inspired. Yesterday afternoon I pulled out the clay bar (medium) and an assortment of polishes, lotions, rags, towels, pastes, liquids and whatever else was on my car care shelf. I slowly worked my way around the car focusing on every detail, stuff that generally gets overlooked on my regular weekly washing. (I did note that some of the paint on my rear spoiler was wearing, between where the spoiler and the lips meet up, rboth on the spoiler and on the engine lid, mostly on the lower passinger corner and the upper drivers corner, is there any adjustment?) When I was finished, the car looked fantastic! My wife and I decided to take it out for a "victory lap." We stopped by a friend's house and the May Grey/June Gloom (seasonal low clouds along the coast) started dropping a bit of moisture. Once back in the gargage, I noticed a bit of moisture in the nearly detailed finish, so I grabbed a handy towel and dried it off, to my "shock and horror" the towel had a bit of dried paint on it which left unsightly scratches on the hood, one int he shape of a seven and another that resembled a wad of tangled fishing line, ouch! I spent another two hours repeating the clay, cleaner, polish, glaze sequence wtih some but not total success, carefully checking every towel in the arsenal for tell-tail signs of paint or any other finish killers. I went out again this afternoon and gave it another round of elbow grease and polish. It looks better but not perfect. Also, I noted that the parts that I did last night seemed to "fade" slightly, compared to the parts that I did today. On the black finish it was quite noticable under the garage florecent lights. So any suggestions on the scratch marks? Any suggestions on the polishing products used, that look great on application but seem to fade some within a few hours? by the way, I was using Maquires products, other than that clay bar. Also, does anyone have an tricks for cleaning up around the rock guards on the rear wheel flares? Thanks in advance. (it still looks really good, the reflection from the side looks like you are peering into a mirror!) Thanks Phil

1996 993 Cab, Black on Black on Black 83k miles

Quick Reply: Detailing part 1: Just how clean is my paintwork?!? – Clay bar the facts you need to