Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the Golden Rod, now my shifter is way far right. Is it adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Installed the Golden Rod, now my shifter is way far right. Is it adjustable?

So after installing the Golden Rod RS-style shift rod, my shift lever is now really far to the right, i.e. further away from the driver. I can get into any gear fine, but it's still strange being so far away. Did I mess something up, or forget to adjust something?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Mine was off a bit to the right as well. Wonder if Darin needs to make an adjustment to his jig. I took my shift lever off and bent it slightly were the factory bend is to compensate. Seems to be normal now.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

The the 'Golden Rod' is made identical to the RS rod, your shift lever should be in the exact, centered, position as before.

Perhaps the one you received is not 'clocked' right - in other words the rear u-joint is out of phase with the short front tubing piece that attaches to the fork. The bolt hole in the u-joint and the short front tube should be in the exact same, vertical, orientation.

Andreas
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
The the 'Golden Rod' is made identical to the RS rod, your shift lever should be in the exact, centered, position as before.

Perhaps the one you received is not 'clocked' right - in other words the rear u-joint is out of phase with the short front tubing piece that attaches to the fork. The bolt hole in the u-joint and the short front tube should be in the exact same, vertical, orientation.

Andreas
Exactly...

Eric, I just sent you an email, we will get it resolved ASAP.
So sorry for the trouble.

Van1, if you are in good shape, great. If not, let us know!

EDIT: Quick note, we thought this was installed a long time ago or we would have contacted you!

Last edited by MarkD; 05-11-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:38 AM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesn't adjustment of the forward rod move the lever side to side also?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by guards red
Doesn't adjustment of the forward rod move the lever side to side also?
I wish! That adjusts the front to back position only.

Interesting note, if you install the RS rod without the RS lever/fork you need to use this adjustment to re-center the lever front to back. Slightly different length on the RS rod.

Last edited by MarkD; 05-11-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, In installed the factory RS pieces (rod, lever, fork) a few months ago and the lever position also ended up clearly further to the right than the original location. However, with the stock set up, I had a little interference with the lever and the right bolster of my race seat in 2nd gear, so the RS lever position works out better for me. 5th and 6th are not too far, so other than looking a little funny, the ergonomic position is fine. Anyway, I found the same thing with the factory parts...

Quick Reply: Installed the Golden Rod, now my shifter is way far right. Is it adjustable?