Sponsored by:

Cooling fan hitting fan housing

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 PM
driveline
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan

I had some marks on the shroud but since I did not have the car long I was not sure the were fresh or was repaired, so I painted the shroud with a paint pen. The fan has not rubbed the marks off in the last two months so I am not changing the fan, save for winter.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:12 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DiegoR
Old thread bump.

Does anybody knows what torque use the hex bolt that tight the steel belt for the fan shroud hosuing? When replaced the alternator, while spinning the assambly to verify the blades wont' make contact agaisnt the housing, it was doing some contact actually and after loosing a bit the steel belt of the fan shroud housing it stopped. Then I finished assambly all and satrted the car all good. The after warm up I could hear slightly the metal-to-metal noise barely and no constant. I already loose the tension V-belt a bit but still make little contact randomly the fan shroud.

Was thinking to even loosing more the steel belt, perhaps if it's overtighted it could lead to "deform" the fan housing and that could cause the slightly contact?
I wouldn't expect the housing to "flex" with that metal strap that holds it in.... But I can't say that wouldn't do it for sure. I didn't look up the torque value for that strap when I did it, but I'm thinking now I should have.

What WILL effect things is the 4 bolts that hold the alternator into the fan housing and the slip-fit of the alternator into the housing. Problem is getting to those 4 bolts to re-tighten them... (remove belts, loosen strap, tilt fan shroud out, tighten bolts, reverse everything). A painful design to work on, really...

I had a new fan and a newly painted fan housing when I did an alternator, so I had to use sandpaper on the ends of the fan blades. I held it inside the fan housing and spun the fan before putting the belts on since there were spots on the ends of the blades that were too long or had paint drips.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

EDIT: Never mind. I didn't notice the date on the original post.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kjr914
I wouldn't expect the housing to "flex" with that metal strap that holds it in.... But I can't say that wouldn't do it for sure. I didn't look up the torque value for that strap when I did it, but I'm thinking now I should have.

What WILL effect things is the 4 bolts that hold the alternator into the fan housing and the slip-fit of the alternator into the housing. Problem is getting to those 4 bolts to re-tighten them... (remove belts, loosen strap, tilt fan shroud out, tighten bolts, reverse everything). A painful design to work on, really...

I had a new fan and a newly painted fan housing when I did an alternator, so I had to use sandpaper on the ends of the fan blades. I held it inside the fan housing and spun the fan before putting the belts on since there were spots on the ends of the blades that were too long or had paint drips.

Seems at 18Nm of torque for the steel belt, the fan won't make contact witht he housing anymore. It was torqued a bit more than that was still making randomly contact making the classic noise. I would say the steel belt require propper torque otherwise could lead a failure of the fan shroud with the housing.

It's good so far now...
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Fix however, but replace the fan. Don't risk one of the blades coming off:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=7241

Quick Reply: Cooling fan hitting fan housing