Engine Spluttering under hard aceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:31 PM
allffy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Spluttering under hard aceleration

I hope someone out there can help.

I was overtaking a few cars yesterday and I noticed a dramatic hesitation in the cars performance over 4,000 rpm. It seemed the car was spluttering. I had the spark plugs changed on it's last service about 5k miles ago and just called my local Porsche Dealer to see if the coil recall was done on my car which it was. The only non standard engine mod is a K & N pannel filter with a Fabspeed cup airbox which I cant imagine causing this problem.

It's a 1997 c2s with 119k miles.

Anyone got any thoughts
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

It could be any number of things. When was the fuel filter last changed? Possibility fuel pump going bad. Faulty injector/s, bad gas, etc. If it were electronic/ignition, etc., it would probably be throwing codes. Have you checked for any? Have also heard of issues with an over-oiled K&N fouling the MAF sensor but haven't experienced it with any of mine.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
allffy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey NC,

I'm not sure when the fuel filter was last changed, I have the car for 14 months (12k miles) and it has not been changed since I got it. The K&N is about three months old so I havent had to oil it yet.
I will plug it in next time I'm over at the dealer and see if any faults come up. Hope it's not the fuel pump.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 287 Posts

Any chance of finding previous service records? Perhaps dealership can check on-line. In any event, a fuel flter would be an inexpensive place to start. Once off, drain it, carefully cut it open and inspect for crud, silt, sediment. If it's clogged, you may need to empty your tank and clean it out. If it's only water, then a can of "Dry Gas" may cure it. Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

hello, could be several stuff, and you should eliminate each possibility with less cost, preferably zero cost.
1st test, in neutral, does the engine have the same symptoms when you rev it above 4k ?
do you feel the engine hesitating (chocking) abruptly ? or whinning style? (thus electrical or fuel)
2nd test; do a search on the board how to check if your distributor belt is not broken.
to start with....regards

Quick Reply: Engine Spluttering under hard aceleration