Interior color issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior color issue

Background: I have a Cab with Midnight Blue ("MB") interior (dash, side panels and RSD doors). Also, close but clearly different new blue leather on seats, shift boot, and console; and a Marine Blue 3-spoke (996) SW. Plus Lloyd mats that are definitely not MB. The seats are close to the color of the OEM boot for the top, which color is nicer (to me) than the MB.

Issue #1: I have Surplex dye to match the OEM MB color and I have Marine Blue dye that will match the SW; neither color is the new leather color. Do I redye the seats etc (incl SW) to OEM MB, or redye the everything Marine Blue?

Issue #2: I like the Marine Blue better than the MB, but how much of a pain in the butt is it to redye the dash?

RLer Chuck has done this successfully, but in black. Either way it will be a pain, but I can't take the multi-hued interior.

Anyone with thoughts or experiences?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
bobesser
Pro

Do you have pictures?

Personally, I would go with the least labor option. To do a good job, I am guessing you will want to remove the parts in question. So, is it easier to remove the dash, seats, boot and console to go Marine Blue. Or, is it easier to remove the seats, boot, console and steering wheel to go Midnight Blue?

I am staring down a similar chore. I just got surflex to redye my steering wheel, shift boot, and seats. They are all Midnight Blue and I am staying with that color, I just want to freshen up everything.

Bob
Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

If you stay blue I would match the seat. Surflex is good, but will wear. The seats take the most abuse. You might want to go to a two tone black and blue interior! Good luck.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob/Chuck: Thanks for the input. Either approach is likely to be a PITA.

Chuck do you think that as the dye wears it would be really obvious? Did you take your dash out to re-dye?

Bob When I painted the console and boot, I tried an inexpensive brush (could se the strokes), paper towels (too much dye), and an expensive brush (no stroke marks, best look). However, I have just ordered spray MB from worlduph.com. I sent them a rear seat cushion to color-match, just as I did with Surflex. The Surflex match was great, but I previously had spray-dyed some black seats before deciding to sell them and the buyer asked if they were new. Spraying is a whole lot easier and better. I hadn't realized World Upholstery would color-match in a spray can when I ordered Surflex.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor
Chuck do you think that as the dye wears it would be really obvious? Did you take your dash out to re-dye?
I have retouched several areas over the last 5 years without issue. When it does wear down it is a slow process and you have to look close to see it.

When I did the dash I removed the top piece (very easy to remove). The lower dash I left on and you can not tell.

Quick Reply: Interior color issue