Sponsored by:

Audio guys - help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio guys - help please

I purchased a new Alpine that is iPod/iPhone ready to put in my 993. According to the window sticker, my car has "Digital Sound Pkg/Hi-Fi Sound" with an "AM/FM Radio with CD Player" ($2075 & $299 respectively...LOL). The current radio is the Alpine that came with the car from the factory, so it thought no problem changing out. After removing it from the dash, I took some pictures of the wiring. My issue is that the speaker wires from the Alpine wiring don't connect to anything and there is a strange plug coming out of the radio that connects to the Nokia control unit in the drivers door pocket. I unplugged that connection and no sound.

I'm pretty sure I've answered my own question - I'm going to have to run all new speaker wires to eliminate the Nokia box so I can hook up the new Alpine? As far as I can tell, the speaker wires do not come into the dash behind the radio. Perhaps there is an amp somewhere in the car? I have no idea where to look.

Does anyone else have this silly option and if so, have you replaced the radio?

Picture 1 you can see the Alpine harness with the speaker wires going to an empty plug (i have no idea what the yellow wire with the black box is)
Picture 2 is the wires that control the speakers
Picture 3 is the Nokia control unit
Picture 4 is underneath the Nokia unit.
Attached Images     
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amp is under the Passenger seat...God only knows what wire does what..but I am literally in the middle of Changing Front speakers...AMP and Head unit...
If you plan on keeping the stock amp...good luck...You need to find a wiring diagram for origination from the head unit...
I would personally replace the amp which can be done relatively cost effectively...
Rip out the DSP and Sound...
And do everything nice and neat...
Just My 2 cents
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

update - I found a giant box marked "Nokia" under the passenger seat. I'll pull the seat and see if I can find speaker wires...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You say you had a factory unit in there? What model? Some of the wiring diagrams for the factory radio can be found online - could be worth a check...
dave
Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

its an Alpine 7807 that was installed at the factory. I wonder if I can connect to all the speaker wires at the amp under the seat, bypass/remove the amp, and run wires from under the seat to the new Alpine?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 574 Likes on 386 Posts

JBH,

What speakers did you decide on for the fronts?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kcwsJim
Picture 1 you can see the Alpine harness with the speaker wires going to an empty plug (i have no idea what the yellow wire with the black box is)
From other stereo installs I've done (not on the 993, however), I'm sure the yellow wire is power and the black box is a choke to filter out noise (alternator whine, etc) on the power coming into the stereo.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95_993
JBH,

What speakers did you decide on for the fronts?
Hertz HSK 165's

Audison SRX4

Kenwood Excelon KDC-x993 (just came out..love the model number!)
Old 04-28-2009, 11:40 PM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

ok, seat is out. there is a large plug going into the Nokia box. I took some wire and jumped two wires coming into the large plug back to the speaker harness coming off the back of the Alpine and got static from one speaker, so now I feel like I can bypass the Nokia box by running new speaker wires from the dash to that harness. The new stereo should power the speakers just fine. I assume there are only four speakers in the car? one in each door and the two on the rear shelf. I'm hoping there aren't two speakers in the large enclosure in the doors.

thanks for the advice
Old 04-28-2009, 11:52 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Ok..
There are Nokia speaker enclosures....the correct way to do it is remove them and throw them out...
Put 6.5 inch speakers in the doors....The hole is in the door panel below the black Nokia boxes...
Not sure if you want to do that...but it will sound better....Find some decent speakers to stick in there...
Now for the wiring
Ok...If you want to remove the amp and run off the radio...make it nice and clean ..it pretty straigtht forward...
Start in the rear...remove the rear deck...4 screws...write down the color wires running to the speakers.
Now go to the Passenger side door...Open that speaker...as well as the Drivers side.....
Go to Nokia ..hunk of crap amp...pull the big plug...You will see the color wires from the rear speaker in the bottom row..now look at the ones next to those...and go to the passenger door ...use only one set...there will be 2 in the door but use one. Go to the drivers door now..Look at whats available on the door..and look at the clip again...pick two more...
THere you go..you have the speaker wires that you will use to run the doors....but you will lose the tweeters ...
RUN wires from that point to the radio..easy enought ..just use the left side of the foot well under the rubber undermatting...sticky..
Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

Hi JBH,

thanks - how do the speaker covers on the front come off?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:14 AM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

You have to take the bottom section of the door panel off...screws around the bottom but I would recommend a search or check pcar website..
Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I am in the middle of an upgrade and already replaced the amp under the seat. The soundstream stealth STL 2.560 (166 USD on ebay) is a perfect fit under the seat. I used the existing plugs from the Nokia and got a donor Nokia amp where I used the female plug and soldered all the connections on. I will install a 3 component speaker system (MB Quart) that comes with 2 crossovers for each channel. I installed the crossovers to split the 6.5 and the mid/tweeter under the driver seat. Another great fit. The crossovers for the mid/tweeter will go into the door. This setup made the use of the existing cables easy because it is generally the same setup, except for the crossover for the bass speaker which is active and part of the Nokia amp. I made a good series of pictures and will post later.

Even with the old speakers, the sound is very good with the new amp. There is just more punch and I expect it to be very good with the upgraded speakers!

Here is the legend for the cables on the Nokia plug. I verified this by measurement but you can do your own due diligence.

Pin# Wirecolor Function

5 Brown Power GND
6 Brown Power GND
10 Red Power +12V
11 Red Power +12V
13 White/Red Speedo signal

7 Shielded Blue/Black Gnd for DSP controller
8 Shielded Blue/Red Data for DSP controller
9 Shielded Blue/Yellow Clock for DSP controller

16 Brown/Green Front Left Woofer -
17 Green Front Left Woofer +
24 Brown/White Front Left Mid/Tweeter -
25 White Front Left Mid/Tweeter +

19 Brown/Yellow Rear Left -
18 Yellow Rear Left +

20 Red Rear Right +
21 Brown/Red Rear Right -

23 Black Front Right Mid/Tweeter +
22 Brown/Black Front Right Mid/Tweeter -
15 Violet Front Right Woofer +
14 Brown/Violet Front Right Woofer –

The pin numbers are taken from the Service Manual wiring diagram for the 95/2 model (sheet 9).
Old 04-29-2009, 08:33 AM
JimGinKC
Rennlist Member

this is a great help - thanks for the wiring diagram!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
Hertz HSK 165's

Audison SRX4

Kenwood Excelon KDC-x993 (just came out..love the model number!)
I nearly put the Hertz HSK 165s in my 993, really nice sounding speaker!
ultimately I got sold on a set of Oz Audio Matrix Elite 6.5 components.

I really liked the Hertz stuff, sounded as good or better than equivalent Focals (to me anyway)

Quick Reply: Audio guys - help please