Sponsored by:

glue for drivers side mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default glue for drivers side mirror?

did a search, no luck. The side mirror glass popped out of the drivers side mirror assembly last week. I have the replacement mirror...what adhesive do I need to re-attach? In an old thread, John mentioned a "3M adhesive" but nothing more specific.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe someone else will chime in here, but I thought the mirror glass was held on by a circular fitting (for a lack of better terminology) If you hold the mirror upside down you will see a pilot hole. Look inside the pilot hole and you will also see a white piece of plastic that has 3 notches. Use a small flat headed screwdriver and place it in one of the notches. The piece of plastic will move left or right freeing up the piece of glass. If your glass is already out you may be able to see how this works better with the glass removed. I really don't think the glass is glued in.

Mike
Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Joe - Do you mind posting a pic of the backside of the mirror? I attached wide-angle mirrors on top of my stock mirrors....but I may try to attach them directly for a cleaner look so it would be great to see how the stock mirrors attach.

Thanks
David
Old 04-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Uber 911

Originally Posted by Arena993
Maybe someone else will chime in here, but I thought the mirror glass was held on by a circular fitting (for a lack of better terminology) If you hold the mirror upside down you will see a pilot hole. Look inside the pilot hole and you will also see a white piece of plastic that has 3 notches. Use a small flat headed screwdriver and place it in one of the notches. The piece of plastic will move left or right freeing up the piece of glass. If your glass is already out you may be able to see how this works better with the glass removed. I really don't think the glass is glued in.

Mike
Correct - turn the plastic notches toward the car to lock the mirror in place, opposite to remove it.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

That happened to me as I was driving from Phoenix to Bangor ME about 3 years ago. The local glass shop glued it in for me gratis.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
slider
Rennlist Member

thanks all. Let me look at this again tonight and get back...with photos if helpful.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM
slider
Rennlist Member

Mike - you were spot-on...the glass had fallen off the backing of a plastic mirror unit that holds the mirror on the front and contains an attachment ring on the back...I was only seeing the mirror side (sans mirror) of the plastic frame. I was able to find the plastic notches on the bottom side of the plastic unit and by inserting a small screw driver and pushing forward (towards the front of the car) and to the right, I was able to release the turn ring that attaches the plastic unit to the mirror adjustment mechanism. I also found that there are two electrical prongs that connect to the back of the plastic unit...I presume this is for heating the mirror.

The new plastic unit was reattached by inserting the screw driver into the new notches and pushing to the left. Done.

I suppose in an emergency, you could apply some type of glue to hold a mirror on temporarily, but this would presume that the old mirror didn't break when it fell off. Otherwise, better to replace the entire plastic unit.

thanks again all.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Cool. I have to remove my glass when the mirror go in for paint.

Mike
Old 10-19-2009, 07:10 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Maybe someone else will chime in here, but I thought the mirror glass was held on by a circular fitting (for a lack of better terminology).
In the 993 (maybe others), it is!

I just installed a side mirror in my 993 yesterday and I took the time to take some pics and wrote-up a how-to.

993 Side Mirror Glass Replacement
Old 10-19-2009, 07:43 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautifully written and illustrated!!! +993
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
+993 That was a perfect write-up. I would request the Robin or Mike put it on their websites

www.p-car.cpm
www.pcarworkshop.com

Mike
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
I'm going to rework the last pic to try to brighten it up a bit. Its a bit under exposed.

I might also reword my instructions. I was in a bit of a rush when I posted that up on my SmugMug site.

Quick Reply: glue for drivers side mirror?