Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help Removing Shift ****

Hey Guys (and Gals)...

I need some suggestions for removing a stubborn shift ****... I searched the topic, and have tried every method I can come up with. Brute force isn't budging it... So, I tried a piece of wood cut to the width of the console and using a pickle fork for leverage... Still no joy! I'm thinking I need some sort of slide hammer setup, but I just cannot believe it is this difficult. It appears to me that it's just a plastic piece that snaps over the shifter (I've removed the boot from the console so that I woudn't damage it in trying)...

Help! There has to be a trick to this!
Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Most shift ***** are held by a spring clip, plus the ***** internal rubber 'clips' into 2 dimples on the lever top .... so removal is a straight pull upwards; however, some have a locking set screw at the base of the **** .... only visible when the boot is turned inside - out.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a stock **** it shouldn't have any set screws I dont think. I know mine didn't.

Its REALLY hard to get it to come loose and you will, no doubt, smash yourself in the forehead when you do get it. I spend a while on mine. Keep working on it and it'll eventually slide off. Just be careful!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well... I conquered it, in the end. Nomatter what I tried, the factory shift **** just wasn't coming off...

So, I resorted to drastic measures! I took the Dremel and cut the shifter about two inches below the bottom edge of the shift ****! I was then able to use the slots in my drill press table and a pair of vice grips to get the darn shifter shaft out of the shift ****... Had to use a hammer (well padded) to get the thing back on the new (RS) shifter!

I guess I'm just a lucky guy, but mine must be a whole lot tighter than some of yours!

So... Other than buttoning up the covers, I am now the proud owner of an upgraded RS shifter and shift rods... I took a bunch of pictures, so hopefully I can get them posted soon. I can tell already that the shifting is much more "mechanical" than before... Can't wait to get it on the road tomorrow and check it out!

More to follow!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ouch.... that poor shift ****

Hey, at least you didn't smack yourself in the face like Justin said.
I did exactly that one time. I still flinch every time I see a leather 993 ****.

Quick Reply: Help Removing Shift Knob