Sponsored by:

Front Brake Ducts, where?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
micnicholas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brake Ducts, where?

So Im wondering where is the best place or best option for brake ducts tubing. I molding in my turbo S ducts into my carbon front bumper but don't like my actual tubing or ducts to the brakes. It's not quite to the quality I'd prefer. Anywhere I could buy the tubing that would run from the bumper to brakes or actually designed for this specif use. I prefer an option that doesnt involve a trip to the heating and air conditioning isle of Lowe's or Home Depot?? thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 07:10 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Pegasus Racing
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/adv...ryID=BRAKEDUCT
I tried this in the past and was never able to come up with a workable solution. Other than cutting through the tub (trunk area) you will have trouble getting more than a trickle of air through once you make all of the twists, crimps, and bends required to avoid the oil cooler, condenser, and inside of a fully turned wheel…. Then unless you have EVO uprights, there really isn’t room to mount the duct anywhere near the rotor…… I gave up and just extended the a-arm scoops….
If anyone has solved these problems I would love to know how....
Old 04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's a little fabrication wizardry from Dougherty's in West Chester. I swore I'd never reveal how they did it, but it does require drilling a few "holes".
Attached Images    
Old 04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
micnicholas
Intermediate

I guess I got a hole saw...............dun dun DUN!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:11 AM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Hey Glen (ninjabones),

Where does the hose end? Does it terminate at the caliper or did they find an opening to get it to the rotor? I may need to go back and try again...... I had tried to modify the backing plates to accept the hose but with all the suspension, lines, and calipers I could not find a suitable place...

Car looks great btw
Old 04-24-2009, 12:27 AM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

On my car it has a black plastic adapter with hole that is flush with wheel well that the end of the hose fits on inside fender, then I have a black plastic pc that directs air towards brakes. I will try to get pic.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Hey Glen (ninjabones),

Where does the hose end? Does it terminate at the caliper or did they find an opening to get it to the rotor? I may need to go back and try again...... I had tried to modify the backing plates to accept the hose but with all the suspension, lines, and calipers I could not find a suitable place...

Car looks great btw
The backing plates were modified and a mount was fabricated to direct air flow on to the rotors. Next time I change the front rotors, I'll snap some pics for you. The ducting is routed from the front scoops to the body with 3" hose. A hole was made immediately aft of the bumper strut mounting points and air flows through a channel in the unibody. The exit point is the position seen in the photo on the inner wheel well. There is no visible evidence of this modification in the trunk compartment and there are very few kinks in the 3" hose. I don't have any quantifiable data yet to determine the effectiveness of the cooling. I am going to take some rotor temps at Pocono next month (with the ducts blocked and open), but I don't think this data will be that usefull, as we'd need real-time telemetry to make valid conclusions.

Can you explain how you modified the a-arm scoops to get more flow?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your a car 2wd or 4wd? 4wd creates issues due to the front driveshafts and some sort of backing plate will be needed. I don't know of any 993 specfic plates but you can buy some for another car (e46's, S4's etc) and cut them as needed to mount to the hub. Make sure you use 3 inch ducting as anything smaller won't do much good.

I have 2wd and fabbed up a duct which is on the bottom of the car cut into the plastic front diff cover. It doesn't protrude very far so if you have an offie it doesn't rip off and it won't hit speed bumps since its in between the front wheels if that makes sense. From here you run each duct where the front driveshafts would be and I made a custom bracket that ducts the air below the caliper into the center of the rotor. Essentially squeezes the tube to fit that space.Not ideal but once I put my 380mm kit on I'll plenty of the room those CF mounting brackets I ordered I've tested this setup on the track many times and it works very very well. I did rip the duct off once after an offie and one session without the functional duct it turned my front calipers different color and I was able to fade the brakes so thats proof enough for me that they work. The big benefit of adequate cooling for the front brakes is prolonged rotor and pad life

Make sure you ducting runs to the center of the rotor to give it adequate cooling. Running in it directly into the side of the rotor wont do much

The other option is to run a duct from the back of the oil cooler(s) like the factory RSR's did. Call Steve at Rennsport and ask if he has any
Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Not the best pic.
But to the right you can see the plastic pc with hole that the tubing from front of car connects to. This blows the air on the black plastic pc w/ 2 screws directly in center of pic, that is curved on the end you can't see, to direct air towards brakes. I don't track car and this I believe is the OEM setup.

Quick Reply: Front Brake Ducts, where?