Sponsored by:

Things to see in LA

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
silverporsche993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Things to see in LA

I am taking a trip for a week in May to Los Angeles Ca. and need some suggestions about what to see and do -- looking for Porsche or other car related stuff. thanks much!

peter
Old 04-22-2009, 05:38 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are your dates? Usually, one of the 4+ PCAs has something going every weekend.

Where are you staying?

We just took an out of town visitor to the Getty Villa in Malibu. Makes for a great day, if you like history and art. The Petersen Automotive Museum is not all Porsche, but good. Nethercutt collection in the north valley is very good.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Couple of suggestions.

If you have the time, take a day trip down to my area (coastal Orange County), drive down PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and spend a day hanging out at the Montage Resort in Laguna Beach. http://www.montagelagunabeach.com/ It's simply one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's nice and relaxing; you can even have drinks sent down to anywhere you want along the private beach front/promenade area. Lots to do in the surrounding areas as well (Newport and Laguna Beaches).

I know that most people here don't feel the same level of enthusiasm for Mercedes-Benz as they do for Porsche, but in nearby Irvine, there is the only Mercedes-Benz Classic Center outside of Germany. The center is dedicated to the factory restoration of Mercedes models. Everything from pre-war roadsters to Gullwing SLs to Kimi's old F1 car. Almost everything's for sale too. Some really nice machinery. http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/classicCenter/

Then there's TruSpeed Motorcars just down the street....
Old 04-22-2009, 06:30 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure of Porsche stuff, other than to hunt up a few good dealerships and go and gawk at the F-cars, Lambos, etc. As mentioned above, the Petersen Auto Museum is definitely good and either of the Getty Museum locations would be great. Just a couple of blocks away from the Petersen is this awesome little breakfast/brunch place: www.manisbakery.com No affiliation, just thought it was an awesome little cafe place.

Drive thru Beverly Hills (see how the other 1/2 lives, or the other .000001%) and the north of there up in the hills (find Mullholland Drive). It fun just to get lost up in the hills. Drive up to Griffith Park Observatory...good Hollywood sign viewing.

Go eat at the Farmers Market at 3rd and Fairfax...lots of little food stands to choose from.
http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

Oh and if you're near one: www.wahoos.com You haven't lived until you've eaten fish tacos!

And if you make it to San Diego:
www.symbolicmotors.com Where Ferrari and Porsche are listed under inventory in the "Other" category....

Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

You guys already got my top picks: TruSpeed, Getty Museum, Laguna Beach, here's a few more...

-Cruise Mulholland Dr., Angeles Crest, Sunset Bl. from Hollywood to PCH, then up PCH

-K1 Karting (Arrive and Drive)

-Food:
--Mako (Beverly Hills)
--Izayoi (Downtown)
--Azami (Melrose)
--Any place in Thai Town (Avoid the A-rated places, the B's & C's are always much better)
--Scoops for IceCream (Near LACC)
--In N' Out Burger! (All over town)

If you're in a pinch for something to do or somewhere to eat give Yelp a try, it's pretty popular in SoCal.

http://yelp.com

Have fun.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:15 PM
SDemas
Advanced

I you like watching Porsches run around the track, May 15-17th there is a POC race at Fontana and May 23-24 there is a PCA race at Buttonwillow.

Stan
Old 04-22-2009, 08:22 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are here on the 14th PCA SGVR is having it's 2nd annual Taco Truck Tour.

On the 28th SGVR is having it's Play Hookey from work Tour.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Every Saturday AM Cars & Coffee Irvine is held in the Irvine Spectrum (Mazda HQ Building off the 5/405 Freeways). Usually 300-400 cars...lots of Posches, Ferraris, other exotics. It starts early (6:30) and is usually over by 9:00. I live 5 minutes away, would be happy to meet you early one Saturday AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:09 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4
Every Saturday AM Cars & Coffee Irvine is held in the Irvine Spectrum (Mazda HQ Building off the 5/405 Freeways). Usually 300-400 cars...lots of Posches, Ferraris, other exotics. It starts early (6:30) and is usually over by 9:00. I live 5 minutes away, would be happy to meet you early one Saturday AM.
+1 Cars and Coffee is a must see for a car enthusiast. I arrange my trips to include the maximum number of Saturdays, as it is different every week. DOnut Derilects Hot Rod gathering is also early am on Saturdays. Huntington Beach area.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Mulholland... I took a the Hertz Shelby GT-H I rented up there... It is awesome, great curves and great views!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the Peterson Automotive Museum in the Miracle Mile District...not only a great collection of cars...but close to some of the suggested spots in this thread (ie: Farmers Market/The Grove and Mani's).

Enjoy..and welcome to LA!
Old 04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Like to Eat?...The here are two of my favorite belly busters..

Phillipe's (French Dip Sanwiches) an LA favorite for almost 100 years. They are on Alameda and Ord (Near the LA Train Station. They have some incedible wines on tap.

El Tepeyac Restaurant, on Evergreeen between Brooklyn and Wabash, East Los Angeles (East Los Esse!), or the neighborhood may be City Terrace. They make a Maunel's Special Burrito....about the size of a small suitcase. My favorite is the Torta de Guacamole burrito, the Okie is good as is the Hollenbeck. Manuel Rojas is the owner...the family has been in this location since the 50's. Manny's burritos are often mentioned is Joseph Wambaugh's earlier novels about the LAPD. I went to school at Cal Sate LA, a few miles from here. If Manny knows you, he keeps a bottle of Tequila on the premises...he may whip it out and offer you a shot.

LA Train Station: You have seen it in so many movies.

LA Dept of Water and Power building...beautiful fountains

The Hintington Library in San Marino. Incredible collection of artifacts related to the Green and Green homes....see some Green and Green homes in Pasadena and San Marino...they are incredible, built in the early 1900's, inspired by the 1905 Tokyo Exhibition...or some such early year. Probably not 1905, Japan was a war with Russia then...they won!

Watt's Towers: Incredible hand built towers hand built by a possessed Italian, Simon Rodia I believe.

Rodeo Drive, beverly Hills...shop till yor'r broke, it wont take long!

Griffith Park...the background for some scenes in Rebel Without a Cause, a 1950's classic with James Dean, a Porsche nut in fact...killed in a Porsche 550 on the way to Salinas for a race.

Venice...see some of the canal homes...also great shopping on Abbot Kinney St.

Venice Beach...more wackos per square inch....

That's it for now...
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Rinty
Drifting

...related stuff...
If you like warbirds, Chino airport is a good place to visit.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:02 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

May 16-17 is the Planes of Fame Airshow at the Chino Airport.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68

The Petersen Automotive Museum is not all Porsche, but good.
+1

Quick Reply: Things to see in LA