Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Stop Between El Paso and San Antonio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Stop Between El Paso and San Antonio?

El Paso is too close, but driving all the way to San Antonio would be a bear. Anybody know of a nice spot in between with a nice motel and good food? THANKS!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long, lonesome stretch on the 10. San Angelo is about your best choice, based on very limited insight, and even that's a side trip.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks, Chuck. Nice lookin' car, btw. Anyway, we will get up (only have to do about 320 miles a day to make it back home by the weekend -- EASY in this baby, lol) around six or seven and cruise on down to your recommended area. Again, THANKS! Bummer I missed ya when in SD. Maybe another time? And if you are ever (and this applies to ALL) lose a DME, I've got the old one plus a brand new one -- if that works on your year. P-Car people are among the best.

Is is okay if I still race a (Spec) Miata (it's sooooooooooooooooooo much cheaper, lol)?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Is Midland and the Jim Hall museum ANYWHERE near there?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Is Midland and the Jim Hall museum ANYWHERE near there?
Good call!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...56&z=8&iwloc=A

Seems it's about a 100 mile side trip, but on that stretch who's counting?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 416 Posts

If you want to stay on I-10, Fort Stockton would be (and has been!) my choice. Any number/quality of hotels and restaurants.

If you have a little extra time, taking Hwy 90 south from Van Horn and stopping off in Alpine would be GREAT. It's a wonderful drive through the mountains, lots of scenery, beautiful little town with a Holiday Inn Express and a couple other decent chain hotels. Continue on Hwy 90 across the desert to Del Rio and on into SA.

If you decide on a side trip to Midland, I'd advise a trip through the Hill Country. From Midland, cut across Hwy 158 to Sterling City, then 87 through San Angelo, Eden, Brady, Mason and Fredericksburg, where you pick up 16 to Bandera and on into SA. (Alternately, take 71 out of Brady to Llano and pick up 16 there. You can get some of the BEST BBQ in TX in Llano, and see Enchanted Rock on the way into F'burg. It's probably the best scenic route.)

When you get here, feel free to pop a PM to me and, if I'm around, stop by for a beer. Might be able to round up Mike and Mel along with a couple other SA RLer's, too.

What kind of timeframe are you working on?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're stopping in Van Horn and are an NFL fan, take 5 minutes and check out Chuy's Mexican Restaurant, with its tribute to John Madden. +1 on Ft. Stockton AND Hill Country.

Quick Reply: Good Stop Between El Paso and San Antonio?