Sponsored by:

Worry about gas pedal popping out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 03:35 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worry about gas pedal popping out?

Several years ago, I installed AJ USA pedals in my 993. At the time, I was autocrossing and on two occasions had the ball that engages the gas pedal pop out, leaving me with a truly "dead pedal." In autocross, it was no big deal. I would just coast off the course, reengage the ball and pedal, and was on my way. It actually helped my technique, as I became very conscious of the kinds of pressure I was using when getting on and off the gas.

I'm no longer autocrossing, but in the back of my mind has been the worry that having the gas pedal go dead on the freeway or in normal driving would not be as inconsequential as when autocrossing.

If I try hard enough by hand while the car is parked, I can repeat the problem. Basically, if the pedal is quickly pushed all the way to the floor, then releasedalll the way very quickly, it has enough weight and momentum to pop free of the ball.

Has anyone seen this with other gas pedals (aftermarket or not)? I have the AJ USA heel-and-toe extension on my gas pedal, and could remove that to decrease the mass, although I find it useful.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-19-2009, 07:16 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

It sounds like the ball may not have been fully seated in the socket. On my 911SC, I had to hold the metal link with a small vice-grip while pushing down on the pedal to get it to pop into place.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyT
It sounds like the ball may not have been fully seated in the socket. On my 911SC, I had to hold the metal link with a small vice-grip while pushing down on the pedal to get it to pop into place.
+1

Andreas
Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 PM
lenticular
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just about certain that the ball is all the way in, especially since I had experience with it being only partially in when I first installed the pedal. I think that perhaps the socket into which the ball fits is was not machined small enough, allowing the ball to pop out when the pedal springs back.

Thanks,
John
Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Then maybe you need bigger ***** (sorry, couldn't resist).

Quick Reply: Worry about gas pedal popping out?