Sponsored by:

Recaro Vivo booster seat in 993 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recaro Vivo booster seat in 993 anyone?

As the search function still does not work (hint, hint) I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully used a Recaro Vivo booster seat in their 993. My boys are ready to 'graduate' from their Britax Roundabouts.

Many thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I'm contemplating a set of these for my two kiddies as well....in the 964.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

It certainly looks very comfortable and safe. Question is whether the base is too wide. I wanted to test it at BabiesRus, but they do not stock this booster at our local store.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

That's my concern as well....there isn't many seats out there that fit the narrow seat bottoms. If you do find out, please do let me know.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:20 PM
peterr
Advanced

Default Anyone successfully tested this in a rear seat?

Gents,

Just following up. I have not seen this seat in stock locally but can mail order it for a reasonable price.

Trying to fit any seat into the sculpted rear of a 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo Canadian Spec (no air bags, 3 point harnesses all around).
Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Guys, sorry to say a Vivo wont fit in the back of a 993 w/o some serious trimming. I have 2 of them (and 2 young sports in my wifes car) and tried to fit them without luck. Also, even if you trimmed them a bit they wouldnt go all the way to the back of the 993 "butt" portion and will be veery cloes to the front seats in all but the most forward location.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:23 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Other than the usual Britax Starriser which everyone uses, I found that the Maxi Cosi Rodi fits pretty well. So many booster seats have a square back on the bottom section, and you must use one with a tapered back on the bottom section to fit in the tapered rear seat area.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update: Contrary to some reports ('CarreraX' - why can't people use their real names?), the Vivo fits perfectly. Maybe not in a Cabriolet, but certainly in my Coupe. My son has been safely and happily using it for a few months now, and he does not even complain of lack of leg space. Note: no trimming or alteration of seat has been undertaken at all. Unfortunately, I cannot provide photographic evidence right at this moment, but maybe in a day or two when I am reunited with my digital camera.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:16 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Reuben, You actually just jogged my memory and it was the young sport that didnt fit in my 993. After they dindt fit I bought some cheap fisher price ones and trimmed the backs so they would fit. I bought the Vivos after that (They werent out when I bought my 993)and cant honestly remember if I tried them later. I think I did but the front seat needed to be quite a bit forward and since I have 2 kids I cant drive with the seat up like that. Unfortunately I sold my 993 so I cant even go out and check. It was 2 years ago when I did the 993 kid seat thing and my memory doesnt serve me so well. Sorry to all. I do look forward to seeing pix of them in your 993 though. As for names, Mine is Mark Francis, I just use Carrerax on the Porsche forums.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:33 PM
peterr
Advanced

Reuben,

Phew! Your post reassures me since I had gone ahead and ordered a Recaro Vivo for my 1989 944Turbo. While the rear seats are not exactly the same as the 993 (closer to the 1980s 911) they are similarly scalloped shaped and challenged. The limits of width of the seat base are similar and the depth issues are possibly not as bad as in the 993 due to wheelbase.

From what I had seen the only two things currently available for sale in North America that looked like they might fit are the Recaro Vivo and the Maxi-Cosi Rodi XR, as both their size and base designs seem appropriate. I did hold some hope for the coming soon Britax Parkway SG, but apparently it is wider.

While the Maxi-Cosi Rodi XR is sold locally, it appears to be a special order, so I have not been able to see either of these in person, hence I took a flyer on a Recaro. If it doesn't fit it can go in the other car and the Evenflo can be the spare.

And on the subject of screen names, generally when you have a name as common as mark or peter you rarely get the opportunity to get an ID that has any resemblance to your choice. So unless you early on decide to be "MarkF68" on every gol-darned website in the world you end up taking 4th and 5th choices which you can't remember or picking something cute or memorable. I expect that when CarreraX signed up that MarkF or MFrancis were taken and so were Carrera2, Carrera4, CarreraS, CarreraT, but when CarreraX popped up as available....

The thing that drives me nuts is how just about every site in the universe now requires you to register before performing certain functions. I have to have a hierarchy of name choices to go through and can't remember what is for what.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your feedback. I will let you know if and how it fits in my car.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM
mrayner
4th Gear

Peterr,

Just checking to see if the Vivo fit in your 944. I have a 968 coupe which has similar (same?) back seats and am thinking of to do the same.

Quick Reply: Recaro Vivo booster seat in 993 anyone?